Freeview Sheffield Transmitter - Retune / Channel Loss From 5 Feb 2020

48 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Apparently these possible messages saying retune "may* be required on Feb 12th" are for some people up near Leeds who are on repeater transmitters off Emley Moor. As far as I know nobody in the Sheffield area should need to retune their TVs on the 12th Feb.

* does it say "might" need retuning, or "will" need retuning ?

I am near Crystal Peaks and I am getting the retune on the 12th on one TV. I just checked the channels on my main TV with the list on the link to Freeview and the only channel I have lost is 205.

One thing that's puzzling me about this is that MUX7 was on channel 31 (at 554 MHz) and MUX8 on channel 37 (at 602 MHz). If they are clearing the 700MHz spectrum for 5G, why do they need to remove MUXes on frequencies far away from the 700MHz band?

4 minutes ago, altus said:

One thing that's puzzling me about this is that MUX7 was on channel 31 (at 554 MHz) and MUX8 on channel 37 (at 602 MHz). If they are clearing the 700MHz spectrum for 5G, why do they need to remove MUXes on frequencies far away from the 700MHz band?

Channel 31 is now used for the Sheffield Live MUX from Grenoside. Think 37 is being used by another transmitter as well.

MUX 7 and 8 were always meant to be temporary anyway. They've been moved/ are being moved to 55 and 56 at every transmitter they broadcast from, those frequencies being in the 700 MHz band that is being cleared of TV signals. They get switched off at the sites still transmitting  them at some point in the next few years.

10 hours ago, iansheff said:

I also have had a message that I will need to retune on the 12th February but only on my upstairs TV, yet both my TVs are the same make and both had said needed to be retuned after the 5th.

Strange though that I was getting reminders daily that it would need retuning.

A lot of channels moved frequency at Emley though, which is why you needed to retune.

12 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Channel 31 is now used for the Sheffield Live MUX from Grenoside. Think 37 is being used by another transmitter as well.

MUX 7 and 8 were always meant to be temporary anyway. They've been moved/ are being moved to 55 and 56 at every transmitter they broadcast from, those frequencies being in the 700 MHz band that is being cleared of TV signals. They get switched off at the sites still transmitting  them at some point in the next few years.

A lot of channels moved frequency at Emley though, which is why you needed to retune.

Sheffield area channel to MUX allocations, very useful (even if I do say so myself.....) :  

Sheffield-and-co-receivable-transmitters

Use in conjunction with digital MUX to programmes

Edited by Justin Smith

3 hours ago, glitterballs said:

So is BBC4 HD, Quest HD and Forces TV available from Emley Moor?

Had new aerial fitted still and its still pointing at Sheffield even though I asked for it to be directed to Emley Moor, was told the channels had gone from Emley too?

Looks like I was told wrong and typically the guys who fitted it are not returning my calls asking for it to be put right!

Thanks

Yes they are still being transmitted from Emley, as well as Belmont, Waltham and Bilsdale (see table above).

Where do you live ? Some sites can't get on Sheffield TX. Who did you get to fit the aerial ?

On 02/02/2020 at 08:43, Blue Day said:

Ok. Stupid question. 

if you have 2 channels for 1 broadcast (example bbc news and bbc news HD) why not close down the SD version? Surely by now the vast majority have HD TVs and if they don’t they can still watch the HD channel but won’t get the benefit of a sharper picture. 

Or is it more technical?

I don't have a HD television, I can't afford a HD television and I don't want a HD Television.

16 hours ago, dacrlit said:

I don't have a HD television, I can't afford a HD television and I don't want a HD Television.

Well thanks for that 👍

We have two TV’s in our house both Sony one Digital with internet access one Terrestrial both coming off the same aerial pointing to Emily Moor we are in Chapeltown, I am watching England vie Scotland the picture on the Digital set has intermittent breaking up of the picture the Terrestrial is a perfect picture any answer’s why !

Presuming it's Freeview, both sets will be receiving the same digital transmission via its own tuner. Perhaps there's an imbalance on the cable splitter/downlead?

14 hours ago, carosio said:

Presuming it's Freeview, both sets will be receiving the same digital transmission via its own tuner. Perhaps there's an imbalance on the cable splitter/downlead?

Thanks for the reply, not very tech-ed up on such thing's when you say

cable splitter I presume you mean the box on the arial mast where one

wire goes into the loft down the inside of the wall to one TV and the other

over the roof and down into our up stair's bedroom, could it be loose or perhaps

water has got in.

Edited by MEC176

Yes, usually the signal is split inside the house. Water ingress-a very common fault, check aerial plug, sometimes when plug is removed, water runs out! If you've another set or you could borrow a small flat-screen, it could be used to test the signal on the suspect lead.