Freeview Sheffield Transmitter - Retune / Channel Loss From 5 Feb 2020

Just now, Colin Foster said:

One way - have a look on Calendar news on ITV. If the background behind the presenters is the Humber Bridge, you're receiving Crosspool. The version broadcast from Emley Moor has Leeds as the backgound.

Thank you Colin.

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 09:04, hilldweller said:

If the main elements of your TV aerial are pointing up and down (vertically polarised), then you are receiving signals from Crosspool transmitter.

Emley Moor transmits with horizontal polarisation (aerial elements side to side)

Simples😀

It's not quite as simple as that, there are other vertically polarised transmitters, e.g. Oughtibridge transmitter, Totley, and Stocksbridge, plus Chesterfield transmitter of course.

More accurately if your aerial is pointing at Crosspool (as in just above Crookes) and is vertically polarised then you are almost certainly on it.

7 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

One way - have a look on Calendar news on ITV. If the background behind the presenters is the Humber Bridge, you're receiving Crosspool. The version broadcast from Emley Moor has Leeds as the backgound.

If the background is the Humber Bridge surely you'd be getting your signals from Belmont transmitter (East Lincs) ?

11 hours ago, glitterballs said:

So now I’m confused (not hard) if I type in my post code it tells me I’m on Emily moor yet tonight on BBC4 HD it said I’ll loose the service on the 5th!

Having just spent 1k on a new TV I’m slightly miffed especially as the licence is increasing 🤬

The postcode predictor is not 100% accurate.

Very few HD channels are being switched off, and the ones that are get a small audience. I suspect that BBC News HD and CBeebies HD will be moved onto one of the other MUXES (and therefore receivable off Crosspool) within a year or two.

11 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

It’s the Humber Bridge.

18 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

If the background is the Humber Bridge surely you'd be getting your signals from Belmont transmitter (East Lincs) ?

Crosspool broadcasts the Belmont version of Calendar, has done for some time now. It does show the Emley version of Look North though (with Harry Gration).

Finally I can receive Sheffield Live - it's now broadcasting from Grenoside as well as Crosspool. 

Edited by Colin Foster

Is there an easy way to select the transmitter from which you receive a TV service from?

Unfortunately our main TV uses the post code to make us use the Crosspool transmitter for everything instead of Belmont which provides a more reliable service.

3 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Is there an easy way to select the transmitter from which you receive a TV service from?

Unfortunately our main TV uses the post code to make us use the Crosspool transmitter for everything instead of Belmont which provides a more reliable service.

I would assume you’d need to point your TV aerial to the relevant transmitter?

4 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Sometimes aerial can pick up more than one transmitter, particularly if you live up high. Under those circumstances try manually tuning your TV in.

44 minutes ago, Blue Day said:

I would assume you’d need to point your TV aerial to the relevant transmitter?

Correct, though you may also have to repolarise it :

Horizontal-Vertical-aerial-polarisations

I'm left with just 5 hd channels today on the living room set 😒 outside Ariel is horizontal  the bedroom TV which uses a indoor boosted Ariel and  is on the window sil ,still has all the channels its  in a  vertical position having line of sight out of the window too the other transmitter  helps i guess. 

could never get a picture using the indoor one in the living room  too many bricks and walls in the way.

can someone lend me a ladder 😂🤣😂

Edited by oldskool
s

1 hour ago, oldskool said:

I'm left with just 5 hd channels today on the living room set 😒 outside Ariel is horizontal  the bedroom TV which uses a indoor boosted Ariel and  is on the window sil ,still has all the channels its  in a  vertical position having line of sight out of the window too the other transmitter  helps i guess. 

could never get a picture using the indoor one in the living room  too many bricks and walls in the way.

can someone lend me a ladder 😂🤣😂

How many channels do you have in total SD and HD ?

And which transmitter are you on ?

2 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

How many channels do you have in total SD and HD ?

And which transmitter are you on ?

in total i count 81 including the 5 hd channels in the living room now i thought both tvs i have were on  the crosspool transmitter, but i have lost nothing on the bedroom tv all 15 hd channels are still there also i noticed some sd ones are not on the main tv either chan 93 . 96 for example.

is my bedroom tv and indoor aerial  on the emly moor transmitter then  i struggle too get anything on that if the in built aerial  booster is tuned off btw no probs with it switched on tho. 

found some info on the bbc site bedroom tv shows bbc4 hd and bbc news hd on frequency 55 and 56 when i select manual tune which would tally with the link below as being on emly moor if you put post code in it shows that info. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/check-for-transmitter-faults/#/undefined

Edited by oldskool

I have retuned my tv this morning but from what I have looked at I have not lost channels that the link said was closing, plus now I get the Sheffield Live channel which I didn't before, although not looked for a while.

The channel for BBC World News used to be 107.

Can anyone tell me what it is now please?