Sheffield 2021 Referendum

Another Referendum?

On Thursday 7 May 2020, the date of the routine Local Authority (SCC) election, there will be a separate vote.

It’s on a Referendum re SCC’s “governance”. This simply means the legal structure within SCC and how they decide matters.

Part 1A of the Local Government Act 2000 brought about the present situation- see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/22/part/1A The Referendum will be under section 9MC, after a successful petition supported by over the statutory 5% of all registered electors.

SCC’s current system involves something called a ‘Strong Leader’. This allows SCC’s Leadership to take decisions without the usual committee approval system. Committees are left with very little power and this is even more so for individual elected Councillors.

The Referendum is, I understand, asking voters to opt for a change to a modern committee system. It would return at least some decision-making powers to Committees and individual elected Councillors. It would also allow proper and meaningful input from community groups.

The Modern Committee System that has been proposed could involve people with expertise in areas such as homelessness, as well as community groups (as mentioned above) along with councillors.  Of course, the final outcome would still be down to the majority party.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-49798209

Edited by Ms Macbeth

On 27/01/2020 at 18:18, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Another Referendum?

On Thursday 7 May 2020, the date of the routine Local Authority (SCC) election, there will be a separate vote.

It’s on a Referendum re SCC’s “governance”. This simply means the legal structure within SCC and how they decide matters.

Part 1A of the Local Government Act 2000 brought about the present situation- see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/22/part/1A The Referendum will be under section 9MC, after a successful petition supported by over the statutory 5% of all registered electors.

SCC’s current system involves something called a ‘Strong Leader’. This allows SCC’s Leadership to take decisions without the usual committee approval system. Committees are left with very little power and this is even more so for individual elected Councillors.

The Referendum is, I understand, asking voters to opt for a change to a modern committee system. It would return at least some decision-making powers to Committees and individual elected Councillors. It would also allow proper and meaningful input from community groups.

Is committee approval the "usual system" in these days of elected mayors and "strong leaders"?

it sounds good,but can normal groups be on this committee? or is it they can have a say if its there area?

My understanding is that the change proposed would not mean simply a return to the 'traditional' system of Committees.

But it would at least re-introduce powers for elected Councillors as  Committee members to have a say, rather than the majority party deciding everything in conclave or at its Strong Leader's sole behest. If the change is supported by > 50% of votes cast- there's no qualifying figure needed nor any particular turnout demanded- it would require SCC to put forward a new structure for approval by HMG. The 'modern' Committees would, I am told, have powers of co-option, e.g. for community groups or informed experts to participate in the decisions which they make. This would still have to take into account Officers' recommendations.

All in all, it might give voters some confidence that their votes have some meaning. Many currently feel that this is not so.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Well Julie Dore did more than anyone to bring this refendum about. Her dictatorial and inept handling of the trees fiasco highlighted the shortcomings of the "Strong Leader" model.

6 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

My understanding is that the change proposed would not mean simply a return to the 'traditional' system of Committees.

But it would at least re-introduce powers for elected Councillors as  Committee members to have a say, rather than the majority party deciding everything in conclave or at its Strong Leader's sole behest. If the change is supported by > 50% of votes cast- there's no qualifying figure needed nor any particular turnout demanded- it would require SCC to put forward a new structure for approval by HMG. The 'modern' Committees would, I am told, have powers of co-option, e.g. for community groups or informed experts to participate in the decisions which they make. This would still have to take into account Officers' recommendations.

All in all, it might give voters some confidence that their votes have some meaning. Many currently feel that this is not so.

Most of them won't have a clue on what they're voting for. See a)brexit, b)Mrs Brown's boys 

There has been a consultation on what people would prefer to see in place of the current system. Details can be found here:

Call for evidence

Unfortunately,  this has now closed with, as I understand it, fewer that 1% of Sheffield's citizens having responded.

You can still have your say in The Big Conversation

Edited by max

I for one will definitely be voting to change from the 'strong leader' model, in favour  of something more democratic and less dictatorial

22 hours ago, max said:

There has been a consultation on what people would prefer to see in place of the current system. Details can be found here:

Call for evidence

Unfortunately,  this has now closed with, as I understand it, fewer that 1% of Sheffield's citizens having responded.

You can still have your say in The Big Conversation

Sadly, even fewer will understand what this is all about than did about Brexit.

Voting against a "strong leader" is rather simplistic. Equally a "more democratic model" is vague.

This referendum seems to be more a vote of confidence in Julie Dore (who's taken it that way) and her crew as a city wide clamour to change a system few understand.

6 hours ago, NewBiz said:

I for one will definitely be voting to change from the 'strong leader' model, in favour  of something more democratic and less dictatorial

A dictator walks into a pub.

And orders everybody a round.