Sign in to follow this  

Colour Of Sound (90s Sheffield Band)

In the early-mid 90s I was involved in Sheffield Community Radio. At the time they recorded 10 live bands in a week and I did some of the engineering, the Longpigs were one, but my favourite was Colour Of Sound, I remember then seeing them at the Easthouse on Spital Hill.

I recently found a box of cassettes in the attic with the SCR session on and played it with nostalgic fondness.

Does anyone know anything about them, did the members go on to other things? I particularly liked the bass playing, the wry lyrics, the percussion, all of it really.

Any info?

I have absolutely no knowledge about them and so cant help, apart from the fact i saw them supporting Chumbawamba and Shudder to think at the Leadmill, 9th June 1992 and seem to remember i still have the poster for the gig somewhere.

On a side note i used to know Crispin Hunt and Simon Stafford from The Longpigs back in the day, Simon more than Crispin.

Edited by melthebell

Well remembered, it helps narrow down when they were about.

I’ve looked on YouTube, Google etc., and they seem to have left no trace. It would be a pity if they never recorded anything professionally, the cassette I have was copied from the reel-to-reel they played live onto so might be the best/only copy in existence unless someone taped it off the radio.

I remember the Longpigs (and the Bollweevils) being the most troublesome during the recordings, the main problem with the Longpig was the manager who was needlessly pushy and the Bollweevils drum-kit that sounded ****e. I remember Crispin played guitar through a really knackered old Selmer amp that had lots of  erm character.

I played bass with Dee from the Longpigs c1999, he was great, I really had to tighten up. RIP Dee

16 minutes ago, Norbert said:

Well remembered, it helps narrow down when they were about.

I’ve looked on YouTube, Google etc., and they seem to have left no trace. It would be a pity if they never recorded anything professionally, the cassette I have was copied from the reel-to-reel they played live onto so might be the best/only copy in existence unless someone taped it off the radio.

I remember the Longpigs (and the Bollweevils) being the most troublesome during the recordings, the main problem with the Longpig was the manager who was needlessly pushy and the Bollweevils drum-kit that sounded ****e. I remember Crispin played guitar through a really knackered old Selmer amp that had lots of  erm character.

I played bass with Dee from the Longpigs c1999, he was great, I really had to tighten up. RIP Dee

Didnt know Crispin Hunt was a prospective MEP in 2019

[

In April 2019 Hunt was announced as an MEP candidate for the newly formed Change UK - The Independent Group (TIG) political party for the 2019 European Parliament election.[5] He was not elected/quote]

23 minutes ago, e3sa934 said:

There's an entry for a 12" record on discogs.com for a band of this name - released 1993.  Could this be them?  Colour of Sound - "Brothers & Sisters"

dont think its soul jazz stuff, more psychedelic indie stuff, theres also a US band of the same name when you google

20 hours ago, e3sa934 said:

There's an entry for a 12" record on discogs.com for a band of this name - released 1993.  Could this be them?  Colour of Sound - "Brothers & Sisters"

Thanks, it's the right year but sounds nothing like the COS I knew.  They had a male singer and were as Mel says psychedelic indie. 

Edited by Norbert