Anyone Got A Listed House In Sheffield?

Looking at buying a listed property,  it looks like quite a bit of work has been done over the years without permission and it's general state of repair means it needs quite a lot of work doing.  Owner says the council just aren't interested and have never been to see the place even when asked, he seems genuine.. if you have a listed property, how have your found the council? Last thing we want is to buy it and then get told loads of things have been done and we have to put it back to how it should be!  Cheers :)

There's a property in Halfway/Mosborough  which has a listed garden, but I can't remember whether the actual house is listed as well.

The owner told me that he should - should - apply for permission to even cut his lawn, let alone prune anything.

He'd also had some house roof work done just before I spoke to him, and he'd been 'forced' to include some special tiles to allow bats access to the roof space...

15 hours ago, neeeeeeeeeek said:

Looking at buying a listed property,  it looks like quite a bit of work has been done over the years without permission and it's general state of repair means it needs quite a lot of work doing.  Owner says the council just aren't interested and have never been to see the place even when asked, he seems genuine.. if you have a listed property, how have your found the council? Last thing we want is to buy it and then get told loads of things have been done and we have to put it back to how it should be!  Cheers :)

I would ring the council planning department and speak to the person looking after your area. 

We are in Rotherham but moved to this house early 2000. The council planners were awful, told us we were in the conservation area and were difficult. We were told we had to go through planning permission to replace the chain link fence along the boundary of our property running down the road. I got so fed up I told them I would leave the horrible chain link fence up if they couldn't be realistic. Two years ago I enquired about something else. They are much more pragmatic now. It turns out only the centre of the village in classed as conservation area and we can do what we want, within reason!