Thoughts On Websites Like Mybuilder.Com?

What are people's thoughts on websites like mybuilder.com?

I've never used them; but in theory they seem like a good idea, for trades people to get genuine reviews (good or bad) so consumers can make better informed decisions when looking for a trades person.

Do they work though?

I think since the rogue trader episode, where a builder had lots of satisfied customer reviews but left customers with gaping holes, people are more wary of accepting reviews as truthful on these sites. The idea is good but wolves will dress as sheep. These directories need to police the advertisers better for them to gain confidence and survive.

On 25/01/2020 at 17:59, Waldo said:

What are people's thoughts on websites like mybuilder.com?

I've never used them; but in theory they seem like a good idea, for trades people to get genuine reviews (good or bad) so consumers can make better informed decisions when looking for a trades person.

Do they work though?

I've used it and still do.

Found some good tradesmen from here.

You can review their work, check jobs they have done. 

I would get 2-3 on a shortlist then you can go with the one who meets your requirements.

ditto the above, i've used them. 

Unfortunately they charge the tradesman if shortlisted so if they get no work they can be out of pocket.

I often try to find them online as well following mybuilder referrals.

They would be very last option

I've never really ever been satisfied by any tradesmen we've used. We never ever barter the quote as that would give them reason to do less than needed. But it's pretty clear that when your back is turned they will cut every corner...and still charge you.

I want a plumber to come in and drain the entire system and fit new top quality  isolating valves throughout, rather than the cheap junk they always fit. But I know they will screw me.  So I live in hope of winning the lottery and being able to afford British Gas to do it...sigh