Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

The Financial Reward Of Continued Blades Form.

I'm not sure if everybody is aware, but this season sees a difference to the way that money is distributed uted between clubs in the top flight. Where are TV revenue would have once been equally split amongst teams, it is now split more fairly based on screen time and position etc etc.

To cut a long story short, it is projected by Forbes that each position in the premier league table  come the end of the season, will be worth a staggering £2m per position!...to put this into context, being a winning team in the FA cup final...only pays around £3.8m and the semi finals only around £1.8m.

Literally, no other league in the world has so much financial incentive based on league position.....In fact of you want to look at it from another slant, finishing where we are now in the league, based with narrowly avoiding relegation...would be the difference between paying up in full for our marquee signing Oli McBurnie or not (£18m).

Surely this has to be factored into projections when considering the transfer pot this window?  Even staying above 12th position, could bring in a staggering +£10m revenue. With this in mind , knowing how we have played so far and where we sit in the league....do you increase the transfer pot, offset against a target of staying up there come the end of the season?... You could argue that it would be a huge ask and a huge gamble.

One thing is for sure.....never before have Sheffield United been in a league that is dictated so heavily by money! 

No you shouldn't. How many times have we seen teams go up and have a better than expected first season to only end up going down the next. Build steady and see where it takes you.

As for the money it's always been based on league position and rightly so I guess it's just getting rediculous the amount of money there while lower league sides struggle to get by, one of the many reasons I dislike what the premiership has become.

11 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

No you shouldn't. How many times have we seen teams go up and have a better than expected first season to only end up going down the next. Build steady and see where it takes you.

As for the money it's always been based on league position and rightly so I guess it's just getting rediculous the amount of money there while lower league sides struggle to get by, one of the many reasons I dislike what the premiership has become.

It has'nt always been based on league position, the PL pot has but the majority of revenues were equal split.  The TV rights money has always been equal split up until this year, but now they have completely  changed the way that they distributed that. With the top 4 cashing in big money....and the rest being distributed based on position and amount on TV.

The game of football has become a ridiculous sport for the rich.The money players get is so out of proportion to real life (£100000 a week for an average player ????) .Sky are the company that dictate the "goings on" .The pundits are all over paid ,the cost to home owners watching is to high,there's too much coverage.Betting companies show no morals in their sponsorship. Not for me now...it's all so pathetic ,can anybody see why I feel like this?

There may be more money going into the game but it isn't making it better, not really something to be applauded to be honest.

A salary caps long overdue,players make obscene amounts of money in comparison to people who work long hard hours and save lives.

The money would be better invested in facilities at stadiums,and grass roots football along with highly qualified coaching to raise standards across all levels.

I attend quite a few games in Germany,and they got to grips with many of these problems over 20 years ago,leaving us behind and there game is stronger for it,you can watch top flight football for 10 quid and that includes free tram travel with your ticket.

English football needs an overhaul,and the power the top 6 have needs curtailing

3 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

There may be more money going into the game but it isn't making it better, not really something to be applauded to be honest.

I agree completely, especially when rules are put in place in order to prevent clubs going bust....and them some teams blatantly exploit the rules. 

16 hours ago, cmonkes said:

I'm not sure if everybody is aware, but this season sees a difference to the way that money is distributed uted between clubs in the top flight. Where are TV revenue would have once been equally split amongst teams, it is now split more fairly based on screen time and position etc etc.

To cut a long story short, it is projected by Forbes that each position in the premier league table  come the end of the season, will be worth a staggering £2m per position!...to put this into context, being a winning team in the FA cup final...only pays around £3.8m and the semi finals only around £1.8m.

Literally, no other league in the world has so much financial incentive based on league position.....In fact of you want to look at it from another slant, finishing where we are now in the league, based with narrowly avoiding relegation...would be the difference between paying up in full for our marquee signing Oli McBurnie or not (£18m).

Surely this has to be factored into projections when considering the transfer pot this window?  Even staying above 12th position, could bring in a staggering +£10m revenue. With this in mind , knowing how we have played so far and where we sit in the league....do you increase the transfer pot, offset against a target of staying up there come the end of the season?... You could argue that it would be a huge ask and a huge gamble.

One thing is for sure.....never before have Sheffield United been in a league that is dictated so heavily by money! 

TV rights for showing Premiership matches around the world are huge and the clubs involved get a persentage of this. No one can quibble really can they

The TV companies give the Premier league clubs huge amounts of money.

These clubs are expected to 'invest' this money in attracting the world's best players and paying them accordingly in order for Sky and others to produce a high quality and successful sports entertainment package  that can be viewed across the globe. That's the deal. 

In addition buying overseas players adds to the appeal from those countries. 

The model has worked for nearly 30 years. 

I am not in favour of the obscene wages that are paid to these players (and in particular to agents) but if the English football authorities had not sold themselves in the early 1990's then it may well have been another European country who climbed into bed with Murdoch. 

7 hours ago, cmonkes said:

I agree completely, especially when rules are put in place in order to prevent clubs going bust....and them some teams blatantly exploit the rules. 

That’s got nothing to do with this and is another instance of badly thought out policies ruining the game.

8 hours ago, staninoodle said:

A salary caps long overdue,players make obscene amounts of money in comparison to people who work long hard hours and save lives.

The money would be better invested in facilities at stadiums,and grass roots football along with highly qualified coaching to raise standards across all levels.

I attend quite a few games in Germany,and they got to grips with many of these problems over 20 years ago,leaving us behind and there game is stronger for it,you can watch top flight football for 10 quid and that includes free tram travel with your ticket.

English football needs an overhaul,and the power the top 6 have needs curtailing

Your right unfortunately the club's won't go for it as it will make it harder to attract bigger names. 

8 hours ago, cmonkes said:

That's not really the point though. I don't think every club struggling has exploited rules. Alot is down to the premiership clubs getting most of the money and the rest having to struggle on.

I still hope a euro league is started for the Liverpool's etc to go and take the sky money with them, hopefully then the domestic league's might stand a chance