We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Details to follow.

Millwall V Blades

Probably one of the worse balls that could come out of the bag really and I place that I am surprised we have spend so many tickets for, because to be frank....the fixture itself is unattractive enough, but little old Miwwaw is a tedious place to go!

To be fair Millwall, they are probably one of the Championships in for teams. A tidy little unbeaten run in something like 6 games, has rocketed them into the play-off mix. Matt smith and Tom Bradshaw seem to have found a bit of form up top for them and all in all, they will be looking for the scalp. 

But we should be way too much for them in theory and on paper.....I still keep on touch with Championship football quite regularly and from what I have seen on them, Millwall are'nt exactly world beaters...they are just disciplined and well organised at the back, whilst having a couple of clinical, in form strikers up top. But they haven't really had that much to deal with.

We need to be going for the jugular from the off in this one. Don't give the home team the opportunity to find their feet and shape, but literally powerhouse them and make them flap like a good un.

No matter what team Wilder puts out, it should be more than good enough. We don't want or need a replay at all, we just need to be in the hat. If push came to shove and it was a goal off the refs backside that separated things, I would take it and happily had back up the M1.

We won't be going wholesale changes either, therefore I hope for 11 fit and uninjured players come the final whistle.

Verdict 0-4 

Whenever we field a full second string we struggle. 

Can't see us winning this one. 

8 minutes ago, Moistened said:

Whenever we field a full second string we struggle. 

Can't see us winning this one. 

Apparently he's only going to make 2-3 changes to rest players whith knocks. He states to have told the lads that he wants to do well in the FA cup this season, after disappointments in recent seasons....

So we will see, but I reckon he is going for it big time.

Starting line up with some changes:

Henderson

Basham

Jags

O'Connell

Osborne

K. Freeman

Besic

Norwood

L. Freeman

Sharp

Robinson

Subs:

Lundstran

McBurnie

R. Morrison

Egan

J. Morrison

Verrips (g)

Clarke

I forgot just how spoilt we are to have a pitch as good as ours and those that we play on week in / week out. 

Millwall's pitch is bloody terrible and for a team who like to get the ball out wide and play football, it isn't ideal. The majority of the central part of the pitch and two boxes are fine, but the wide areas that we like to exploit. The pitch is boggy, sticky and bobbly....not the best conditions for getting it down and playing it around or running at people. The pitch as a whole is very sticky and doesn't allow for fast, passing play. Possession is getting turned over so frequently by both sides, this is simply due to the ball not having the legs to get to the intended player. 

I can see this game turning into a long ball affair second half, as I just can't see this pitch being ideal the longer it's played on.  It is already becoming very congested in middle areas of the pitch as both teams are quite reluctant to use the wings too much. 

Edited by cmonkes

First half was a bit slow and cumbersome all round really, the pitch definitely didn't help proceedings....We simply couldn't adapt our usual style of play, due to the poor nature of the pitch.....Particularly in wider spaces. 

Second half we gradually took over the game, bossing possession and dictating the speed of play. Players pushed on more and we played a lot of decent, passing play around the edge of the 18 yard box. I think we knew that a goal would come eventually, as we forced Millwall out of the game. 

Two very well taken goals. Besic curled one in from around the edge of the 18 yard box, out on the right....Billy was instrumental in his hold up play and brought midfielders into attacking play. The second goal was Oli Norwood....He hit the ball low and hard from around 20+ yards out, into the bottom right hand corner. 

We weren't prolific and we took time to grow into the game! You can't solely blame it, but the pitch was a massive factor in changing our approach and style of play. In the second hald however, only one team would walk off that pitch winners.....We learnt from the first half, we pushed on and we dictated play. 

Special mentions for both Freemans, who both look like they could slot into the first team squad when called upon..... Billly had another intelligent game! He held the ball up very well and brought midfielders into the game, giving us more of an attacking threat.  Basham had a cracking second half in particular, spending large spells in the opposing half, both out wider and around the 18 yard box. 

A healthy run out in the end..... and in the hat for the next round. 

4 hours ago, cmonkes said:

Apparently he's only going to make 2-3 changes to rest players whith knocks. He states to have told the lads that he wants to do well in the FA cup this season, after disappointments in recent seasons....

So we will see, but I reckon he is going for it big time.

You were right. Not a full strength side by any means but it wasn't just eleven strangers. 

Awful pitch which made things difficult, but we were always the better side. 

UTB! 

Professional performance 

Good win on a tricky tie

Went to this one. 5 hours getting to Greenwich as the coach driver went the wrong way in London, got stuck in a jam then had to turn around and start again. Ok in the seating area but very depressing approach to the away end and in the concourse. Didn't see any bother. 4 hours to get home. Now I've been to Millwall away can't see me doing it again.