Coronavirus

Groose

Bickering, insults, sniping, off-topic point scoring and the like are NOT going to be tolerated. Any further will get you suspended. This is the final warning.

Message added by Groose

There appears to be a variety of ways to treat a patient for Coronavirus  infection.

https://www.thepharmaletter.com/article/r-pharm-hiking-production-of-kaletra-for-treatment-of-chinese-coronavirus

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/analysis/coronavirus-mers-cov-drugs/

Edited by petemcewan

Seems like bs?

I know they've got tight control over the press, but surely you can't hide 25,000 fresh corpses and 150,000 sick people??

It’s pretty easy for the Chinese authorities to hide this, if in fact these figures are true.

They’ve hidden much bigger things in the past and even recently with the internment camps estimated to hold anything upto one million Muslims for ‘re-education’.

They covered up the outbreak initially in November and December, I know people in Hong Kong who feel it’s much worse than the authorities are letting on.

They have control of all media and there is no external internet provider, also social media is controlled and mostly Chinese owned so they can do what they want unfortunately.

14 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

It’s pretty easy for the Chinese authorities to hide this, if in fact these figures are true.

They’ve hidden much bigger things in the past and even recently with the internment camps estimated to hold anything upto one million Muslims for ‘re-education’.

I would not describe these as hidden - we know all about them, but turn a blind eye because we want to do business with China.

I agree we know now but it took a long time for the internment camps to be exposed.

Ive spoke to a business friend in Hong Kong this morning who is in touch with people within mainland China. They are saying it’s much worse than is being reported in terms of deaths and several other areas/City’s are preparing to be quarantined.

In addition to the health risks the damage this could do to the world economy is huge. Factories are closed and goods are not being made and shipped which will start to show as shortages in stores and manufacturers here within 6 weeks or so.

Just seen the ITN morning new.  Footage of Chinese authorities rounding up people & literally dragging them out of their homes; one man being forcibly carried by his arms & legs, partially dressed.  They're then put into a small, windowless box on the back of a truck to be taken away. 

The pictures are accompanied by a child saying he doesn't want to be taken away in a similar manner. 

Edited by Baron99

15 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

I agree we know now but it took a long time for the internment camps to be exposed.

Ive spoke to a business friend in Hong Kong this morning who is in touch with people within mainland China. They are saying it’s much worse than is being reported in terms of deaths and several other areas/City’s are preparing to be quarantined.

In addition to the health risks the damage this could do to the world economy is huge. Factories are closed and goods are not being made and shipped which will start to show as shortages in stores and manufacturers here within 6 weeks or so.

Westie I totally agree.

I've seen footage of bodies purportedly being stacked up and then burned in Wuhan. There a load of fake sensationalist news at the moment, so I'm really not claiming it is fact.

However, what is fact is that our (HK) post office stopped delivering to Wuhan by Christmas Eve as they couldn't find any local couriers to take the packages in. This was before the Hospital Authority spoke about the outbreak. There is a huge amount of distrust about the Chinese government and it isn't fake news to be stating that they have done a cover up job once again (The Chinese government themselves had to issue directives urging local governments not to underreport deaths). Bear in mind that any SARS data used even now is based on HK's records, as the mainland ones can't be trusted.

The Tencent 'release' is pretty unconfirmed however.

The virus has undoubtedly spread - the few cases internationally will continue to grow, as we are seeing here in HK where there has now been transmission between people that haven't been to China. There is a huge amount of paranoia, however I do think that many people outside of Asia are very blase about it.