Sheffield United Tickets

I have been trying to get tickets for the home matches of Sheffield United, and every time I visit the website to buy some, I am informed that I need a minimum number of "Loyalty Points" to be eligible to buy the tickets. Apparently, loyalty points are earned by buying tickets.

So how do I earn the my first set of loyalty points to buy my first ticket?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

I think the club could have adopted a better policy than the one currently in place.

I think you need to become a 'member' which will give you an initial number of loyalty points. 

The next home game is Bournemouth on Sunday February 9th 2.00pm kick off. I am sure this match will have tickets available on General Sale. This should allow you to buy tickets without the need for membership. 

Edited by abbeyedges

You need less points for away games and less popular ones like cup games against lower league teams.

IIRC the stadium was half empty at the last FA cup game.

Unfortunately the tickets are in demand now it's a Premiership club, those that were attending games back in League one days have earned the points to be able to buy the tickets.

I'll give you some idea of the points that you'll be competing against when trying to buy tickets.  A season ticket got you over the years around 2000 points if my memory serves me well.  I don't go to away games which generally earn between 150 to 200 per ticket bought & the early, unpopular cup rounds will get you similar points, which I go to at the Lane. 

If you're competing against me for tickets, the last time I checked, I had just over 45,000 points. 

Edited by Baron99

4 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

I think the club could have adopted a better policy than the one currently in place.

I think you need to become a 'member' which will give you an initial number of loyalty points. 

The next home game is Bournemouth on Sunday February 9th 2.00pm kick off. I am sure this match will have tickets available on General Sale. This should allow you to buy tickets without the need for membership. 

I seem to remember the loyalty scheme / points scheme was brought in a couple of decades ago to reward those fans who travelled near & far, to ensure they got preference over the fair weather & glory hunting fans who'd only want to turn out for the big games. 

I know someone who still goes all over with the Blades.  He once told me that Utd were playing somewhere like Portsmouth one Saturday & Utd had decided to sell their next 5th round FA Cup tickets on the Saturday.   Him & the dedicated fans arrived back at the Lane, only to find they were at the back of a very long queue. 

Luckily, Dooley was around & ushered these fans to the front to get their tickets. 

That's why the Loyalty Scheme was introduced.  It's worked well for the last 20+ years., I don't see any reason to change it. The same fans that back now we're in the Premiership are the same fans who were backing it in Division 1.

I'm sure that they'll be plenty of tickets available for the next game at BDTBL, against Bournemouth on Sunday 9th Feb. 

Edited by Baron99

5 hours ago, the_mandarin said:

I have been trying to get tickets for the home matches of Sheffield United, and every time I visit the website to buy some, I am informed that I need a minimum number of "Loyalty Points" to be eligible to buy the tickets. Apparently, loyalty points are earned by buying tickets.

If you want to watch home games at the 'Lane, there are rules to follow and it isn't impossible.

First you HAVE to be registered, this is free. For some games you have to have loyalty points built up by buying tickets and season tickets. This is to prevent away fans from buying seats in the home stands as much as anything.

If the away fans don't sell out, then it may go to general sale but you may still need a minimum number of loyalty points.  Points differ from game to game, "Big" home games may be as few as 50 points, cup games e.g FC Fylde attracted 250 points.

My season ticket got me 2700 and cost about £450. This season there weren't enough season tickets available to meet demand.

A membership costs about £40 and may let you jump the queue a little, loyalty points still required usually.

Sometimes ST holders are given permission to buy tickets for family and friends (normally your ST is your ticket and you're not allowed to buy any extra.)

Call the ticket office and register (this will also open an online account for you).  01142 537200 (make a cup of tea first)

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

I seem to remember the loyalty scheme / points scheme was brought in a couple of decades ago to reward those fans who travelled near & far, to ensure they got preference over the fair weather & glory hunting fans who'd only want to turn out for the big games. 

I know someone who still goes all over with the Blades.  He once told me that Utd were playing somewhere like Portsmouth one Saturday & Utd had decided to sell their next 5th round FA Cup tickets on the Saturday.   Him & the dedicated fans arrived back at the Lane, only to find they were at the back of a very long queue. 

Luckily, Dooley was around & ushered these fans to the front to get their tickets. 

That's why the Loyalty Scheme was introduced.  It's worked well for the last 20+ years., I don't see any reason to change it. The same fans that back now we're in the Premiership are the same fans who were backing it in Division 1.

I'm sure that they'll be plenty of tickets available for the next game at BDTBL, against Bournemouth on Sunday 9th Feb. 

It's necessary these days that's for sure. What I don't get is why your board are waiting to add capacity unless it's at the planning stage but heard they were waiting to see if you stayed up first. As soon as the last home game is played they should start the works whatever league your in

I guess a capacity increase is only justified if PL football is likely to continue.  The ground is currently 32k, which is bob on for the Championship and on the high side for League one.

There's maintenance costs and such to consider when adding capacity, you don't wanna be paying extra to look after seats you rarely fill in lower leagues.

13 minutes ago, geared said:

I guess a capacity increase is only justified if PL football is likely to continue.  The ground is currently 32k, which is bob on for the Championship and on the high side for League one.

There's maintenance costs and such to consider when adding capacity, you don't wanna be paying extra to look after seats you rarely fill in lower leagues.

Well there are plans, (only plans & probably dependent on being in the Premiership for a few seasons), to redeveloped the South Stand into a 2 tier stand. 

Long term, whether we remain in the Premiership or not I think they aught to use the opportunity to  increase the capacity to at least 45,000.

7 hours ago, the_mandarin said:

Loyalty points are only awarded to season ticket holders I think but maybe wrong

Thanks all. I have a friend visiting from abroad, and wanted to give him a taste of watching an English football game live. My first preference would have been a United game as they play in the Premier League, but considering all the hoops that they are making first time visitors jump through, I guess I will have to consider a Sheffield Wednesday game. I had been to one of the Wednesday games a few years ago and the tickets were relatively easier to obtain.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Well there are plans, (only plans & probably dependent on being in the Premiership for a few seasons), to redeveloped the South Stand into a 2 tier stand. 

Long term, whether we remain in the Premiership or not I think they aught to use the opportunity to  increase the capacity to at least 45,000.

Even just 40k, I don't think it's unreasonable. I know it's not so good should attendances drop but while the money's there it's surely worth it. The kop alone is in need of a revamp anyway and I don't think maintenance cost should be that much of an issue

2 minutes ago, the_mandarin said:

Thanks all. I have a friend visiting from abroad, and wanted to give him a taste of watching an English football game live. My first preference would have been a United game as they play in the Premier League, but considering all the hoops that they are making first time visitors jump through, I guess I will have to consider a Sheffield Wednesday game. I had been to one of the Wednesday games a few years ago and the tickets were relatively easier to obtain.

Think you would still have to register or something though. At the minute you wouldn't have a problem getting a seat.