Eddy Lyans Or Lyons Hairdresser

Does anyone remember Eddie and Ciss Lyans or Lyons . Eddie had a hairdresser shop somewhere in the Sheffield area .they  lived at 48 Birley road Frechville and were either family friends or relations of ours . Visited them in 1959 with my parents and know they have both passed away , am trying to find out if there was a family connection so if anybody has any memories I would be very pleased to know.

Ray

My parents were family friends of Eddie Lyons. Don't know what the connection was but I can vaguely remember going to his hairdressers shop with my father and elder brother, but like you, can't recall whereabouts his shop was. I may be wrong, but I now think going back around 60 odd years  that Eddie and his wife took the stewardship of a club down Attercliffe somewhere. If that was Eddie Lyons, as kids,we had our first puppy  from him, a cross boxer, which we grew up with.

Edited by stevew
grammar

Hi Ray Humphreys - in case it's of any help, Kelly's directories from the early 1970s show "E.E. Lyans, ladies' hairdresser" at 46 Birley moor Road. Public records show that Edwin Ernest Lyans was born in Brighton on 19 March 1915, his parents being Percy Edwin Lyans and Sarah Jane, née Holder. Percy and Sarah do not seem to have had any other children; Sarah died in 1924 and Percy remarried. Edwin Lyans married the Rotherham-born Florence Cecilia Beardall in Chesterfield in 1941; the births index does not show any children.  Edwin died in Sheffield in 1969 and Florence died in Sheffield in 1999.

Edited by hillsbro

Thanks to you both stevew & hillsbro this is a great start for me , especially as my Grandmothers maiden was `Holder`.

Thanks again both .

Ray

Sarah Jane Holder came from a large family. The 1881 census shows her aged 4 at Broadwater, Sussex with her parents George & Jane, and siblings Alice, 16, William, 14, Caroline, 13, George, 11, Edward, 9, Esther, 8, Mary, 5, Beatrice, 2 and Maude, 1, also Jane's mother Esther Clarke, 70. Two more children, Ernest and Edith, were born in 1882 and 1883. Should be an interesting family to research!

Edited by hillsbro

Thanks again Hillsbro  your doing a grand job ! . The village of Broadwater was our family home and Edith was my grandmother .

Ray

3 hours ago, Ray Humphreys said:

The village of Broadwater was our family home and Edith was my grandmother...

So it seems that Sarah Jane was your great aunt, and Edwin Lyans your cousin once removed. Here is a link to the relevant details from the 1891 census return; Sarah Jane appears simply as 'Jane'.  https://i.postimg.cc/t40bDY4w/Holder.jpg

Edited by hillsbro

Hi Ray, I've just had a flash back ( it was painless ) and i saw Eddie's hairdressers shop just above the Embassy Ballroom, on the same side in a row of shops...........and i think he lived, at that time, somewhere just across the main road in a semi detached. I think i can remember calling at his house, then walking across the road to his shop.

Hello Stevew , we are pretty sure Eddie Lyans lived in Birley Rd , Frechville  , would that be near to the Embassy Ballroom ?. I hope to be in contact with a Lady who worked at the hairdresser`s soon , found her via a Sheffield Star article from last year and the news paper is going to pass on my inquiry , hopefully she will be in touch.

Thank for your continued interest.

Ray

Hi Ray, First of all, forget about where i said I thought that Eddie had taken the stewardship of a club down Attercliffe, I was confusing him with someone else. Birley Moor Road becomes Mansfield road heading towards Sheffield and that's where the Embassy Ballroom was i.e. it's the same road. I have spoken to my brother and he seems to think that Eddie worked for Scotts  Hairdressers who had shops in both The Wicker and Attercliffe before going on his own and opening the shop I have described near the Embassy Ballroom. If it helps, I think i can remember him wearing dark horn rimmed glasses and we both agree that he sported a small moustache.

Edited by stevew

That sounds like our Eddie , thanks Stevew . Still waiting to hear from the Lady who used to work for him so if and when I will let you know .

Ray