Relocating To Sheffield

Hi,

My husband and I are looking into relocating from the West Midlands to Sheffield. My husband is originally from York, and me Dublin. We want to move for lifestyle (The PEAKS!) and to be closer to his family. He also works a lot in Leeds so it will be an easier commute for him. I am expecting our first baby, so we will be raising a young family. Looking for some where with a community feel, but still a bit of a buzz (shops, cafes, ?a gym). We would love a detached house, with goodgarden space. Ideally close to the peaks which we would hope to access really regularly as we love camping, climbing and cycling.  Bit of a wish list I know!

We are looking £500-£650k.

Any help/advice would be great. I know s10, s11, and totley/dore keeps coming up.

Cheers

With that budget,have you looked at self build to get house of your dreams in the area you like? I live Sheffield 18 and many people buy house to knock down and rebuild their dream home.Good luck !!

You want to be looking at  Ecclesall, Bents Green,Fulwood, Whirlow, Beauchief, Millhouses, Totley, Dore. These are excellent residential areas with the type of property you're looking for and only around 15/20 minutes drive from the Peak District. The post codes vary from S8 to S17 but any good estate agent should help you. If you pull up a map of Sheffield you should be able to see the areas in relation to the Peaks. The areas also have access to good schools - state as well as private - and a whole host of amenities. Hope this helps.

Your budget will be sufficient to live in the peaks.

High or Low Bradfield are very pretty, also look at Bolsterstone and Ewden Village.

Oughtibridge and Penistone are also worth a look.+

4 minutes ago, geared said:

Your budget will be sufficient to live in the peaks.

High or Low Bradfield are very pretty, also look at Bolsterstone and Ewden Village.

Oughtibridge and Penistone are also worth a look.+

These plus Stannington which has part of the Peak District within its boundary.

I'd certainly not recommend Ecclesall,  Bents Green, Fulwood,  Whirlow,  Beauchief,  Millhouses, Totley or Dore if you're commuting to Leeds as it will take 30 minutes to get to the motorway.

Thanks everyone. Lots of opinions to consider here.

@max-- helpful to know about traffic. My husband doesn't commute every day to Leeds, maybe 2 days a week. Is the SW side of the city worse for traffic?

@geared -- thanks for the list of places. we hadn't really considered living within the peaks as thought village life would be too quite for us. Do you have any experience of living in those areas?

3 hours ago, max said:

These plus Stannington which has part of the Peak District within its boundary.

I'd certainly not recommend Ecclesall,  Bents Green, Fulwood,  Whirlow,  Beauchief,  Millhouses, Totley or Dore if you're commuting to Leeds as it will take 30 minutes to get to the motorway.

Or catch a train.

Endcliffe in SW Sheffield is a short walk to Sharrowvale and Broomhill, and Ecclesall Road where you'll find cafes pubs and restaurants, delis etc. Also a short walk to parks and Botanical Gardens. And 20 minutes drive to the climbing edges in the dark Peak.

This is a bit of a wildcard.  Penistone and surrounding villages.  This is a small town with everything you describe with lots of countryside around.  The northern peaks are to the west though further from the Derbyshire dales.  This would be an easier commute to Leeds than from SW Sheffield.

Considering the commute to Leeds as a priority,  it depends if it will be by train or car, and what time in the day.   If you live near the tramline ,  then from Sheffield Station to Leeds there are plenty trains.

An alternative is to take the Dore-Sheffield  connection, and then to Leeds.

If it is by car,   a house in any area in proximity of the peak district  (including S10, S11)  will make it difficult to reach Leeds in less than an hour.   Even cutting through the Rivelin Valley, the M1 will not be so close.

Good luck

MV

Edited by MaxVinella

Why not live in Leeds or somewhere near in W Yorks like Bingley , Hebden Bridge or Ilkley?

Sheff has many positives but it sounds like you need to be near Leeds and York. Is it simply Peaks v Dales?

or York and get the train into Leeds?