Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

57 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Hopefully the white elephant will be terminated and save us, 56 billion est cost minus 7 billion spent = 49 billion saving. Spend some of it on upgrading what we have now, rest to the NHS. Job done and dusted and value for money.

Angel1.

Silly rabbit, that money isn’t going to the nhs, and we won’t be upgrading what we have. We can’t upgrade much of what we’ve got, we are hitting capacity now, let alone in 10 or 20 years time.

For my money, it will still go to Birmingham possibly Manchester,  but the Leeds spur will be done and finished. 

37 minutes ago, geared said:

It's a good opportunity to alter the project to make it solely about extra network capacity.

Journey times as still being mentioned and it's still all alot of people talk about.

But surely if we are putting in a new line it might be an idea to move up from Victorian technology.

£106 billion.

Wow.

Edited by nikki-red

If we were going to save a hour on a journey instead of fifteen minutes I’d say ok. The UK isn’t big enough to warrant a high speed rail line that will save only a small amount of time. The cost is now becoming ridiculous time to stop.

11 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I agree. We have high speed broadband which means business people can communicate face to face instantly.  Concorde hasn't been replaced because there are no longer the same reasons why business people need to get to the other side of the Atlantic Ocean fast.  Time to scale back and make best use of the work and money spent by combining or joining the new infrastructure  with local railway networks.

I agree with you.

Personally I've thought at least £100bn for a few years now, people had been telling me I was just being sensationalist.

The latest figure just covers London->Birmingham as well I believe?

Taking the local tram-train as an example, there are lots of scope for many further increases to the estimates.

I wonder how many months, years, decades the completion date will continue to be put back?

Has the Crossrail (the Elizabeth Line) opened in London yet and at what budget overrun?

1 hour ago, geared said:

Personally I've thought at least £100bn for a few years now, people had been telling me I was just being sensationalist.

Apparently it's already cost £8 billion.

£250 million a month.

To put it all in perspective - and assuming my rudimentary maths is right! - the new estimate equates to roughly £15 for every man, woman and child in the UK.

3 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

If we were going to save a hour on a journey instead of fifteen minutes I’d say ok. The UK isn’t big enough to warrant a high speed rail line that will save only a small amount of time. The cost is now becoming ridiculous time to stop.

It's about capacity, not speed.

But, frankly that's all a bit irrelevant as I reckon the who thing will go no further than birmingham. Its certainly not going to Leeds.

A huge mind bending amount of money but as the previous post said it's about capacity not speed. The current network is close to full capacity so if we want to cater for the projected increase in rail freight and passenger traffic in the coming years we need to build something.

Environmentally we need to get vehicles off the road, economically we need faster more reliable connections between our major cities so it will be interesting what they decide to replace it with if its cancelled as they can't just do nothing.

Regional rail links could and should be improved but that doesn't solve the freight issue nationally or connectivity between the regions.

A difficult problem to solve.

Guest makapaka

Spend it on opening the wood head tunnel with proper trains into Manchester from Sheffield