Old Photos of Holme Lane, Hillsborough Corner

I rent a shop on Holme Lane, near Hillsborough Corner does anyone have any old photos that we could take copies of as we would like to display them in our shop?

18 hours ago, Faith Hope said:

I rent a shop on Holme Lane, near Hillsborough Corner does anyone have any old photos that we could take copies of as we would like to display them in our shop?

Easy enter Holme Lane or Hilsbrough corner Sheffield into google images - loads of pics.

Enjoy.

Rocker

5 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Hi Faith Hope - here is a link to an old postcard in my collection (a real photo, postmarked 1935) that you are welcome to use if it is of interest. https://i.postimg.cc/CdyhK5LJ/Hillsborough-1935.jpg

Great picture Hillsbro, but I'm damned if I can figure out which direction it's looking at!  Hillsborough Corner has certainly changed a lot, I can't get my bearings at all! What does the tower in the middle of the picture belong to?

Edited by Olive

7 minutes ago, Olive said:

Great picture Hillsbro, but I'm damned if I can figure out which direction it's looking at!  Hillsborough Corner has certainly changed a lot, I can't get my bearings at all! What does the tower in the middle of the picture belong to?

Can’t you see the Holme Lane Street name near the tobacco advert?

2 hours ago, Olive said:

Great picture Hillsbro, but I'm damned if I can figure out which direction it's looking at!

As lazarus observed this a view of Holme Lane looking towards Bradfield Road. There was a Methodist church where Wilko is now - hence the spire. Wood's newsagents  & toy shop is at the far left, then Strutt's grocers, later taken over by their competitor J. Hemmines next door. Hemmines' double-fronted shop was there until the early 1970s.

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

Can’t you see the Holme Lane Street name near the tobacco advert?

Now you point it out I can. In my defence...small screen. 😀

Edited by Olive

20 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

As lazarus observed this a view of Holme Lane looking towards Bradfield Road. There was a Methodist church where Wilko is now - hence the spire. Wood's newsagents  & toy shop is at the far left, then Strutt's grocers, later taken over by their competitor J. Hemmines next door. Hemmines' double-fronted shop was there until the early 1970s.

Ah, now it makes sense.  Time hasn't been kind to Hillsborough Corner has it? 

Edited by Olive

Indeed time hasn't been kind to Hillsborough Corner. In fact the photo for my 1935 postcard must have been taken a few years earlier, as part of William Bush's single-storey grocers shop on the corner of Bradfield Road can just be seen at left-centre. By 1930 this had been demolished to make way for the existing building, originally a branch of Burton's tailors. Here is a c. 1903 postcard with a closer view of Bradfield Road showing Bush's shop: https://i.postimg.cc/0Q1qyMfr/01.jpg and here is a view taken from the bridge: https://i.postimg.cc/1XWTwfpG/03.jpg.  The advertisement at the far left is for Scarr's off-licence on Taplin Road.

Edited by hillsbro

Lovely pictures Hillsbro.  There's quite often a grim and grimey quality to places in pictures of this era, but I think in Hillsborough Corner's case, it definitely looks shabbier now, even with the improvement work on the bridge area. A lot to do with traffic I suppose, but there's also some pretty uninspiring later 20th century buildings which don't help.

On 20/01/2020 at 14:59, hillsbro said:

Hi Faith Hope - here is a link to an old postcard in my collection (a real photo, postmarked 1935) that you are welcome to use if it is of interest. https://i.postimg.cc/CdyhK5LJ/Hillsborough-1935.jpg

I never knew that Timpson's shoe shop was there that early!

I remember my mum taking me to Hillsborough from Crookes to go there for school shoes in the late 70's/early 80's !

Seemed a cavernous place with boxes and shoes plied ceiling high, almost like a film set as I remember as a very small boy.