Extending Wifi Signal

Hi what do i need to extend the range of my wifi router from downstairs to upstairs 

I have some thing called t p links you plug one in router and another in laptop  youre using and in a 3 point pin plug think they bout are about 20 pounds each 

There are lots of options, the simplest ones are probably the plug in Wi-Fi boosters.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1286627

Something like that...you plug in it about halfway between your router and where you have the dead spot in your signal.

Another vote for TP Link Powerline devices.   They'll give you a couple of wired socket and wifi.

12 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Another vote for TP Link Powerline devices.   They'll give you a couple of wired socket and wifi.

Must dig mine out to improve my connection with the wifi box a couple of rooms away - nearly forgotten I brought them out to France - thanks for the reminder!

Used to have them in Sheffield because the Virgin router was in the front room downstairs and youngest sons bedroom was back room upstairs. Worked a treat.

On 20/01/2020 at 10:15, alchresearch said:

I've just started looking at these- as my modem (VM) is upstairs and I use cable to plug into my laptop- just because it's an office room so ethernet gives faster connection.

But my signal downstairs is weaker, e.g. on smart tv or other gadgets.

But I'm not a geek so anyone here who can help with how to set up these T P links please kindly do. 

Does the TP link need to be connected in with the modem/ same room?

Edited by Guest

How far is upstairs from downstairs? 

If it's a standard 2 storey house then a better router would be the start. 

I'm only using the one given by my provider and have a range of useable signal extending ~35metres in all directions. 

Upstairs is no different to down for me.