Side Effects Of Statins.

My best friend has been on Statins for years. For the last two years she has had cramp in both hands and in her hips. She decided to come off them  to see what would happen.Within one week the cramp in her hands and hips had disappeared and has never returned. She explained this to her GP who told her to stay off them.

Has anyone else had this experience ?

Side effects of statins are  well documented, but apparently save lives.

Psyllium fibre husks in it's loose form (not capsules) is very good for reducing cholesterol. Not everyone likes to take it in that form as it thickens up really quickly

Bad cramp is the reason I stopped taking them.

Eating a diet that is rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products and skimps on saturated fat and cholesterol can lower your blood pressure by up to 11 mm Hg

Pills are too often an easy way out.

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Eating a diet that is rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products and skimps on saturated fat and cholesterol can lower your blood pressure by up to 11 mm Hg

Pills are too often an easy way out.

It’s cholesterol not blood pressure .

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Bad cramp is the reason I stopped taking them.

I was on holiday and was talking to an old lady who was taking statins, but could hardly walk with pain in her hips. She told me she was going to give up statins to see if it made any difference. She got in touch with me later to say that the pain in her hips had completely disappeared since coming off them.

tbh it happens with a lot of medication my wife has been prescribed HRT meds, the meds work but she then gets pain everywhere and can't even lift a kettle of water.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

It’s cholesterol not blood pressure .

Its the same cure, eat better to make yourself healthy.

6 hours ago, pattricia said:

My best friend has been on Statins for years. For the last two years she has had cramp in both hands and in her hips. She decided to come off them  to see what would happen.Within one week the cramp in her hands and hips had disappeared and has never returned. She explained this to her GP who told her to stay off them.

Has anyone else had this experience ?

Yes, yes, yes. The same thing has happened to three people I know and as soon as they stopped taking them they were fine but one had a stroke a year later.

He was told he should never have stopped taking them but having explaining  why he stopped he was then prescribed  a lower dose which suits him fine so maybe that's  the answer, a lower dose.

Cramp is a known Side Effect of Statins.  Ask your GP for a different one , that  cured my cramps,

I gave in a few years ago after my GP continually asked me to take statins. Within a week I could hardly walk for the pain in my knees. Went back to the GP and he changed them for a different statin. This one gave me swollen ankles so I stopped. I even tried a third one and this gave me intolerable acid so stopped them too. Have not taken any since and I,m fine so far.

I think some statins are just given as a preventative measure but I would rather go on a low fat diet , and have no bad side effects from statins.

30 minutes ago, forgeman said:

I gave in a few years ago after my GP continually asked me to take statins. Within a week I could hardly walk for the pain in my knees. Went back to the GP and he changed them for a different statin. This one gave me swollen ankles so I stopped. I even tried a third one and this gave me intolerable acid so stopped them too. Have not taken any since and I,m fine so far.

Interesting. My legs don't half hurt in the morning and my right knee causes pain all the time. I'd not put 2 and 2 together until reading this thread. I'll go and see the GP first as I was put on them because my heart missed a beat...well, missed a lot of beats! It could be coincidence but the leg/knee problems started about 10 days after I got out of hospital, on various medication and statin is one of them.

Like I say, GP first. I don't want to go through the heart attack thing again, it hurts!