Nasty Shock, Win 10!

Noticed recycle bin icon showed some content, so double-clicked and was just about to action "Empty" when I thought "Hang on..."

14 icons shown, a mixture of files and even 3 folders in there...none of which I'd chosen to delete.

Some were from my C drive, some from external E...but no pattern.

Obviously I restored them all, but I'm at a (worrying) loss as to why/how these found their way into the Bin.

I've quickly googled the problem in case there's a virus going round that claims responsibility, but no takers that I've found.

Ran Malwarebytes only yesterday, and no problems found.

Anyone any clever ideas what's happened?!

Malwarebytes isn't a virus scanner...

Run a scan using windows defender...

Also, it depends what the files were, they may have just been junk files, or even moved by mistake (left click and drag when moving mouse, without realising)

- happened to me before, faulty left click, it let go of a drag prematurely, and dropped some files in some random place, luckily there's Undo to move things back, but that wouldn't have worked in your situation...

I doubt it'd be a virus in all honesty...

Sounds like PEBKAC to me.

8 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Malwarebytes isn't a virus scanner...

Run a scan using windows defender...

Also, it depends what the files were, they may have just been junk files, or even moved by mistake (left click and drag when moving mouse, without realising)

- happened to me before, faulty left click, it let go of a drag prematurely, and dropped some files in some random place, luckily there's Undo to move things back, but that wouldn't have worked in your situation...

I doubt it'd be a virus in all honesty...

Appreciate MWB isn't a virus scanner, but I also scanned with Bitdefender (which was still running when I posted!).

Both clear.

One file or folder accidently moved, I could understand....but 14?!

The content range was interesting...a few mp4's, but from different folders (and drives, come to think).

A few random jpg's...even a couple of ebook compilation files.

Some used recently, some not in months.

Confusing - just grateful I spotted them.

3 hours ago, Happ said:

Sounds like PEBKAC to me.

Not the most helpful reply, but if it pleased you, so be it.

A few random jpg's...even a couple of ebook compilation files.

Some used recently, some not in months.

Sorry, but it really does sound accidental, or something like that.... 

if it was due to a virus, it would have been more serious files it moved, it would also have moved them back once you restorred them (or moved others) and who knows what else....

13 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Sorry, but it really does sound accidental, or something like that.... 

if it was due to a virus, it would have been more serious files it moved, it would also have moved them back once you restorred them (or moved others) and who knows what else....

Agreed. Also, Windows 10 by default, will not prompt for confirmation on deletion like previous versions of the OS. Faulty delete key, accidental clicking, right click>delete, drag to recycle bin, delete options in menu’s, lot’s of ways to delete files accidentally. User error or faulty keyboard without a doubt.

2 hours ago, Happ said:

Agreed. Also, Windows 10 by default, will not prompt for confirmation on deletion

It does still ask but only on network shares. I'm not sure it was a good thing to remove it from all local deletes. It used to annoy me but trying to think of all levels of PC  users, an option to turn the warn off/on might have been better.

As for the OPs question, it could be user/keyboard error. Or maybe a duplicate finder built into one of your programs. It's possible it's a virus that's not yet fixed but I go with the above comments TBH, people that create a PC virus normally aren't kind enough to pop things in the recycle bin for you.

1 hour ago, zach said:

It does still ask but only on network shares. I'm not sure it was a good thing to remove it from all local deletes. It used to annoy me but trying to think of all levels of PC  users, an option to turn the warn off/on might have been better.

As for the OPs question, it could be user/keyboard error. Or maybe a duplicate finder built into one of your programs. It's possible it's a virus that's not yet fixed but I go with the above comments TBH, people that create a PC virus normally aren't kind enough to pop things in the recycle bin for you.

You can re-enable the delete confirmation. Right click on Recycle Bin > Properties.

11 hours ago, Happ said:

You can re-enable the delete confirmation. Right click on Recycle Bin > Properties.

Thanks, I didn't notice the option was there.

Found the culprit...

It's Glary Utilities, and its "automatic maintenance" utility.

A load of unexpected  files again in the Recycle Bin - all "shortcuts", and all stemming from my Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Recent folder.