Sheffield University's Micro Aggression Police

The World has come to this, so as not to possibly offend anyone, anywhere.

5 hours ago, Litotes said:

I actually feel intimidated and picked on by the microagression police - who polices the police?

The MAP will be policed by another group of students, called the MAPP.

In turn, these will be regulated by the MAPPP and so on, until all the Ps in the world have been taken.

I’m trying to imagine the response of any ordinary student when they are taken to task for their thoughtcrimes. I can’t see it being magnanimous 

Edited by Pettytom

I do love these new terms that keep springing up.   I saw this being reported by Look North last Thursday.  Apparently even asking someone where they come from can be perceived as some kind of threat or discrimination?   Anyone want to accuse Harry Gration of being a right-winger?

But never mind the perceived threats at Sheffield Uni,, even worse the US Ambassador to S. Korea has a moustache that's causing tremendous heartache. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-51146729

Edited by Baron99

6 hours ago, mickey finn said:

Lefty drivel,

My thoughts entirely. I'm so glad I'm not "woke" or whatever the terminology is these days.

I worked at hallam and it was beginning to feel like this also I know some said to me you can't call someone love or dear. 

2020 and the lefties are micro managing everything 

I'm neither left nor right, but polite behavior matters, right? Making everyone feel welcome and accepted, and learning how not to offend, even if we don't intend to do it.  It seems to be that this is about learning how to be more polite for a more diverse set of people.  I have said things to people of other races that I didn't imagine to be hurtful, but I never saw it from their perspective, just as being a woman professional I was shocked that older generation men would say the dumbest things to me, and we went through decades of trying to educate men to be more respectful.   My grandfather thought it was perfectly fine to comment on women's looks, but when he realized his granddaughters were professionals and this was hurtful to them, he stopped.  Personally, I think this is more about updating etiquette than about politics, and we shouldn't overreact, just thinking about others first helps, right?  Being part of a community and caring about our community makes us all strong.

Guest makapaka
13 hours ago, darylslinn said:

The World has come to this, so as not to possibly offend anyone, anywhere.

I love it when people say things like 

“you’re just not allowed to offend anyone anymore”

like they’re really annoyed at the thought their ability to offend someone might be restricted.

i don’t actually agree with the university’s policy by the way as I think there are better ways to educate people than paying “enforcers”.

11 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I do love these new terms that keep springing up.   I saw this being reported by Look North last Thursday.  Apparently even asking someone where they come from can be perceived as some kind of threat or discrimination?   Anyone want to accuse Harry Gration of being a right-winger?

That just demonstrates you weren't paying close enough attention or misunderstand the issue.

There's nothing wrong with asking someone where they are from. After being told somewhere in the UK by someone with brown skin following up by asking them "But where are you really from?" implies that you don't consider them to be really British.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

Post(s) have been removed because they could be considered to breach our Terms of Service or Forum Rules.  This includes the posts in the quote train.

17 hours ago, Martin C said:

My thoughts entirely. I'm so glad I'm not "woke" or whatever the terminology is these days.

😂 me too Martin

2 hours ago, Groose said:

Post(s) have been removed because they could be considered to breach our Terms of Service or Forum Rules.  This includes the posts in the quote train.

This feels like microagression to me - joke!

Considered by whom?

Edited by Litotes

Well, if it opens up positive discussion - good.  I’m not convinced that this is best way of achieving that aim but time will tell. It does feel like discussion around race will always get closed down.