Halifax Road S6 (Lidl)

Does anyone remember a petrol station behind the bus stop (Halifax Road), across from Wadsley  Bridge Working Men's Club (where LIDL is now)? Been having an argument with family, I'm sure I remember it used to be a petrol station at some point in the past?

Edited by Craig2009

Yes there was and before that it was gallahers  of park drive cigs fame. 

Thank you 🙂

Any idea what petrol station it was? trying to find an image to prove my point?

It was a Texaco and it did exist my other half worked there ,must have been 30yrs ago.

I think Gallahers was where Lidl is now and the filling station was lower down where the mobility shop and others is situated. Also thought the filling station was Mobil but may be wrong or it changed to Texaco

In the 70s we were customers there, the pumps had large clock-style fingers indicating gallons and fractions of. Usually there was a nice lady attendant operating the pump.

When Lidl was built they had to remove all the underground  fuel tanks.

Unfortunately on this pic the station is just out of shot.

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16736&pos=51&action=zoom&id=19436

Edited by carosio
Add link

Believe there was a fatal car crash there involving a triumph stag that finished up on its roof on the forecourt of the garage