Purdys Diy Open Real Ale Pub

11 hours ago, Garrold said:

There are four cask beers on in here, and four keg. In my opinion the cask will outsell the keg. 

In where?

I scrolled back through all the threads but can't see which bar you are referring to?  I assume it must be the Purdy's place?  If so great!

I just hope they use some imagination and try and have a variety of alcoholic strength and different types of beer.  4 beer pumps selling 4 beers at 4% or thereabouts, isn't very exciting.

Edited by DerbyTup

On 07/02/2020 at 23:41, DerbyTup said:

In where?

I scrolled back through all the threads but can't see which bar you are referring to?  I assume it must be the Purdy's place?  If so great!

I just hope they use some imagination and try and have a variety of alcoholic strength and different types of beer.  4 beer pumps selling 4 beers at 4% or thereabouts, isn't very exciting.

Yes, sorry, I did mean the Purdy’s place. There’s a decent range on, tbh. It’s looking like there’s going to be a porter or a stout on (Buxton Gatekeeper at the minute) and pales at varying ABVs. There’s a lager on tap (Freedom Brewery), and more hops, including an amber ale on keg. They’re changing fairly rapidly, too. 

17 hours ago, Garrold said:

Yes, sorry, I did mean the Purdy’s place. There’s a decent range on, tbh. It’s looking like there’s going to be a porter or a stout on (Buxton Gatekeeper at the minute) and pales at varying ABVs. There’s a lager on tap (Freedom Brewery), and more hops, including an amber ale on keg. They’re changing fairly rapidly, too. 

That sounds worth a visit!  It's good the beers are turning over rapidly too.  It's great to offer variety, but if you've got a dozen hand pumps but only demand for 4 then you end up with a lot of wasted beer I imagine. 

Buxton used to be one of my favourite "local" breweries.  Their "Axe Edge" IPA at 6.8% on cask was something of beauty.  However, they've stopped producing it in cask form now and it's only available as a keg - still nice - but nowhere near as good as the cask version imo.  I visited the Buxton Tap House (in Buxton) last weekend.  It's a nice little place that serves decent food and their range of ales - but again - mainly it's keg.  

I like "stronger" pale beers.   I'm talking an absolute minimum of 5%, but preferably 6% or more.  I hear from a lot of landlords that they don't have them regularly because they are slow sellers.  I can understand why that may be the case for lunchtime drinkers - or pubs in remote locations not served well by public transport.  But for evening drinking in pubs which are easily accessible by public transport?  I don't see why these type of beers are not popular.  Although I do think the people behind the bar may need a bit of training to encourage customer's to try them and not be scared off by something that isn't around 4%.

I imagine if most people are having more than two pints they stick to 'session' ales. So that's why the strong ones don't sell as much. You can't really be having 5 or 6 pints of Axe Edge or Jaipur etc. It's not sustainable, or much fun I don't imagine.

6 hours ago, Bilge said:

I imagine if most people are having more than two pints they stick to 'session' ales. So that's why the strong ones don't sell as much. You can't really be having 5 or 6 pints of Axe Edge or Jaipur etc. It's not sustainable, or much fun I don't imagine.

True.  I rarely drink more than 2 pints anyhow, I'm just not keen on the volume.  I think the last time I went over that I hit the heady heights of 3 pints - and I could hear the beer sloshing around in my belly after that!  Not nice!  I can get the same effect from 2 pints of strong ale as some folks get from 5 or 6 pints of 4% stuff - and it usually works out cheaper!  😉 Now there's a good reason for any Sheffielder to try it!