Purdys Diy Open Real Ale Pub

Not much competition in the area so there is plenty of interest. On the few occasions we have walked on to the Princess Royal this year we have been disappointed with their random opening times. This is an asset to the area and I will definitely be back for a second visit  

13 hours ago, rachelmum said:

Not much competition in the area so there is plenty of interest. On the few occasions we have walked on to the Princess Royal this year we have been disappointed with their random opening times. This is an asset to the area and I will definitely be back for a second visit  

Was gonna say, theres only the Princess Royal and the Junction these days (presume the junctions still a pub?) the brunswick shut down and became a shop decades ago, so apart from the princess royal or Junction its a loooong walk up to the village.

Working mens clubs at Woodhus Mill and Beighton Road closed decades ago.

Edited by melthebell
added a bit

14 hours ago, allwednesday said:

Yes Its going to be rather busy at first I should settle down though .

Don't bank on it. The one near me has gone from strength to strength. If they keep having good beers on people will use it.

Just now, sammo sparks said:

The " Junctiom" is now a shop as well.

really? bugger, last time i went down there was about 2010 / 2011 just after mi dad died. Tbh i cant remember if it was a pub still or not.

I walked down from mi dads, down the mill, around, up the private, down the Badger, up to the village and round, reminiscing

On 20/01/2020 at 12:42, Foot said:

Don't bank on it. The one near me has gone from strength to strength. If they keep having good beers on people will use it.

Your probably right which one is near you.

On 20/01/2020 at 13:04, melthebell said:

really? bugger, last time i went down there was about 2010 / 2011 just after mi dad died. Tbh i cant remember if it was a pub still or not.

I walked down from mi dads, down the mill, around, up the private, down the Badger, up to the village and round, reminiscing

The Junction has been a One Stop for a while now.

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 21:16, allwednesday said:

Your probably right which one is near you.

Dragon's Tap at Stag in Rotherham

I like some of these little micropubs, but they can be unbearably busy, with no room to swing a cat.  Alternatively, if they are quiet, the few people in there feel obliged to start a conversation with you.  I don't always want to talk to strangers when I go out for a beer.  I'm happy just to be by myself and read.  

A bigger concern for me though is the growth of keg beers.  Don't get me wrong, there are some very good ones, some very innovative ones.  But if we are not careful they will end up killing off cask ale, like they did back in the 1960's.  Because they are far easier to keep and far more profitable.

I went in that Lost Industry place on Sydney Street a few weeks ago.  It's quite a nice place with a huge range of beers on tap, 21 in total.  But every single one of them is keg.  Not a hand-pump in sight.  Payment is by card only - that doesn't bother me tbh - I think the sooner we get rid of cash altogether the better.  But I came out of there thinking that the end is nigh for "real" ale, that is, "cask" ale.

Edited by DerbyTup

On 05/02/2020 at 09:14, DerbyTup said:

I like some of these little micropubs, but they can be unbearably busy, with no room to swing a cat.  Alternatively, if they are quiet, the few people in there feel obliged to start a conversation with you.  I don't always want to talk to strangers when I go out for a beer.  I'm happy just to be by myself and read.  

A bigger concern for me though is the growth of keg beers.  Don't get me wrong, there are some very good ones, some very innovative ones.  But if we are not careful they will end up killing off cask ale, like they did back in the 1960's.  Because they are far easier to keep and far more profitable.

I went in that Lost Industry place on Sydney Street a few weeks ago.  It's quite a nice place with a huge range of beers on tap, 21 in total.  But every single one of them is keg.  Not a hand-pump in sight.  Payment is by card only - that doesn't bother me tbh - I think the sooner we get rid of cash altogether the better.  But I came out of there thinking that the end is nigh for "real" ale, that is, "cask" ale.

There are four cask beers on in here, and four keg. In my opinion the cask will outsell the keg. 

Edited by Garrold
Grammar

Guest makapaka
37 minutes ago, Garrold said:

There are four cask beers on in here, and four keg. In my opinion the cask will outsell the keg. 

Nowadays unless there is a choice of 20 including their own personal favourite the ale afficianados will denounce it as inadequate.