Toilet Flush Handle Extortionate Price Charged. ?

12 minutes ago, West 77 said:

As has been pointed out if it was an emergency call out then the price charged is about the going rate.  I agree it is expensive.  The fact that the lady wasn't given a bill suggests the plumber isn't a bona fide trades person.

It wasn't an emergency. He didn't leave a bill because he said he would put one in the post and of course in hind sight  his intension were to rip off.  An itemised bill on the spot would have given his game away plus its written evidence. My mum took him at his word. Yes he was a bona fide tradesman, van outside  with his name  and slogan on the side. Old peole are very trusting plus very  vunerable  when talking to young six footer.  This won't happen again because in future the next time mum needs any type of work doing we have asked her to inform us first to prevent this happening again.  In todays world people still trust and this is an example of their reward.  :suspect:

Just now, West 77 said:

If a bill doesn't turn up then report him to trading standards.  He is likely to be VAT registered if he is legit so a VAT invoice should be given.

We are waiting for a bout a week, like Ive mentioned before but will take your advice.  :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

It wasn't an emergency. He didn't leave a bill because he said he would put one in the post and of course in hind sight  his intension were to rip off.  An itemised bill on the spot would have given his game away plus its written evidence. My mum took him at his word. Yes he was a bona fide tradesman, van outside  with his name  and slogan on the side. Old peole are very trusting plus very  vunerable  when talking to young six footer.  This won't happen again because in future the next time mum needs any type of work doing we have asked her to inform us first to prevent this happening again.  In todays world people still trust and this is an example of their reward.  :suspect:

Thats good advice. It's sad there are so many cowboys out there.

2 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Thats good advice. It's sad there are so many cowboys out there.

I agree, Thankyou,  I will take all the good advice given from all posters.  :thumbsup:

As there is no dispute over the bill and it was paid, could the name of the "plumber" be posted so that we can decide wether to use the service or not.

Just now, Thorpist said:

As there is no dispute over the bill and it was paid, could the name of the "plumber" be posted so that we can decide wether to use the service or not.

No, please dont post the persons name.

Thank you.

I agree with Nikki,  for starters Im not sure about the legal stance on that situation, there are other ways, eg, Trading standards and notifying the Police about a con man,  Im not sure about getting any joy about the latter as it is a consumer issue but just to inform the Police there is a con man on their patch targeting Pensioners wouldn't go a miss but thankyou Thorpist naming and shaming would alert  future victims,  but there is good reason why Nikki has posted and Ill go with that, but thankyou.

I suppose a thank you for good service and the price paid paid but be put on on twitter.

Too many con artists out there.  Sorry you've been mugged by one.  But rest assured he will get his comeuppance - especially if you and others report him.

How much would anyone of you want to - source a part, travel to someone's property, fix someone else's bog, guarantee the work? On mine it is necessary to change the flush valve along with the push button.