Jump to content

Toilet Flush Handle Extortionate Price Charged. ?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, nightrider said:

My plumber would charge around £45  + parts (presumably a toilet handle is not expensive...) assuming I did not ask him to come immediately and get an emergency charging rate.

To be fair you don't even need a plumber, it's such a simple job any handyman could fix it, of course the lady wouldn't know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Could anyone give me an idea what a plumber would charge to change a broken flush handle because my 83yr old mother was charged £145.  I wasn't present at the time or else this would not have not have happened because I think its extortionate.  Am I right in thinking this. :suspect:

Depends if it was an emergency call out, and what time of the day he came. Both make the bill higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Padders said:

To be fair you don't even need a plumber, it's such a simple job any handyman could fix it, of course the lady wouldn't know that.

You've missed the point the original poster made by a country mile.  An eighty three year old woman isn't an handyman and I have every sympathy for the original poster who feels his mother has been ripped off.  At least you have acknowledged the lady wouldn't know the full facts.  A plumbing service is a business which needs to be profitable to survive and needs to charge for their work accordingly to remain a viable business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You've missed the point the original poster made by a country mile.  An eighty three year old woman isn't an handyman and I have every sympathy for the original poster who feels his mother has been ripped off.  At least you have acknowledged the lady wouldn't know the full facts.  A plumbing service is a business which needs to be profitable to survive and needs to charge for their work accordingly to remain a viable business.

I agree.. Also the plumber is supplying the handle.

Edited by pattricia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You've missed the point the original poster made by a country mile.  An eighty three year old woman isn't an handyman and I have every sympathy for the original poster who feels his mother has been ripped off.  At least you have acknowledged the lady wouldn't know the full facts.  A plumbing service is a business which needs to be profitable to survive and needs to charge for their work accordingly to remain a viable business.

There's a difference between a business making a profit and ripping people off.. in this case the lady was definitely ripped off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does seem a bit steep I would say a maximum of  £ 80 but you are right to ask for an itemised bill.

I've  known friends good results by threatening them with writing to Watchdog  or Rip off Britain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, West 77 said:

An eighty three year old woman won't look on You Tube and also might not want to bother her family with the problem.  YouTube is good for the younger generation but I have not doubt many emergency plumbers have been called out  after someone looking at a You Tube video attempted a do it yourself fix  and found out it wasn't as easy to fix the problem as the video made out.

I wasn’t suggesting that an elderly lady should have fixed her own flush after looking on YouTube.

In the second paragraph of my post I was relating my own experience, as a means to possibly help others who may encounter a similar problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nightrider said:

My plumber would charge around £45  + parts (presumably a toilet handle is not expensive...) assuming I did not ask him to come immediately and get an emergency charging rate.

Handles just dont break they are solid metal poss just screw wanted tightening usually

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was charged just under £110  to repair a dimmable LED light switch.

The part was billed as £30, labour £60 up to  the first hour plus VAT at 20%.

I think the company was Dick Turpin Enterprises.

It was shock when I got the invoice!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, spider1 said:

Handles just dont break they are solid metal poss just screw wanted tightening usually

The square metal bar that protrudes from the flush handle (inside the cystern) corrodes from the water. 

Edited by Janus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always best to ask for an estimate first.    You can always flush the thing by tipping buckets of water down it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who aren’t plumbers, always say they can do the job themselves, until they come to do it !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.