Toilet Flush Handle Extortionate Price Charged. ?

20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You've missed the point the original poster made by a country mile.  An eighty three year old woman isn't an handyman and I have every sympathy for the original poster who feels his mother has been ripped off.  At least you have acknowledged the lady wouldn't know the full facts.  A plumbing service is a business which needs to be profitable to survive and needs to charge for their work accordingly to remain a viable business.

I agree.. Also the plumber is supplying the handle.

Edited by pattricia

6 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You've missed the point the original poster made by a country mile.  An eighty three year old woman isn't an handyman and I have every sympathy for the original poster who feels his mother has been ripped off.  At least you have acknowledged the lady wouldn't know the full facts.  A plumbing service is a business which needs to be profitable to survive and needs to charge for their work accordingly to remain a viable business.

There's a difference between a business making a profit and ripping people off.. in this case the lady was definitely ripped off.

That does seem a bit steep I would say a maximum of  £ 80 but you are right to ask for an itemised bill.

I've  known friends good results by threatening them with writing to Watchdog  or Rip off Britain. 

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

An eighty three year old woman won't look on You Tube and also might not want to bother her family with the problem.  YouTube is good for the younger generation but I have not doubt many emergency plumbers have been called out  after someone looking at a You Tube video attempted a do it yourself fix  and found out it wasn't as easy to fix the problem as the video made out.

I wasn’t suggesting that an elderly lady should have fixed her own flush after looking on YouTube.

In the second paragraph of my post I was relating my own experience, as a means to possibly help others who may encounter a similar problem.

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

My plumber would charge around £45  + parts (presumably a toilet handle is not expensive...) assuming I did not ask him to come immediately and get an emergency charging rate.

Handles just dont break they are solid metal poss just screw wanted tightening usually

I was charged just under £110  to repair a dimmable LED light switch.

The part was billed as £30, labour £60 up to  the first hour plus VAT at 20%.

I think the company was Dick Turpin Enterprises.

It was shock when I got the invoice!!!

14 hours ago, spider1 said:

Handles just dont break they are solid metal poss just screw wanted tightening usually

The square metal bar that protrudes from the flush handle (inside the cystern) corrodes from the water. 

Edited by Janus

Always best to ask for an estimate first.    You can always flush the thing by tipping buckets of water down it.

People who aren’t plumbers, always say they can do the job themselves, until they come to do it !! 

46 minutes ago, pattricia said:

People who aren’t plumbers, always say they can do the job themselves, until they come to do it !! 

I bet you say that about most blokes (apart from George Clooney).

Edited by Longcol

3 hours ago, Longcol said:

I bet you say that about most blokes (apart from George Clooney).

Got to laugh at this ! 

Just to say thankyou to all for your kind post/responses,  my sister contacted the swine and he said he would get back to her,  as he was in the middle of a job other wise in the middle of ripping some other poor soul off,  we all know he is not going to get back  to her, so it now goes down to experience, the moral of this situation is if being a pensioner  always get a quote first and if possible have a relative or friend present when it comes to paying out plus get an invoice/itemised bill.   I have given my mum the £145 even tho it was an hard task, not an hero or owt like that but its what should be done,  but everybody just be careful there are  some wicked people out there as we do all know, but a big thankyou to all forumers for your kind support,  Sheffield Forum second to none.

Edited by PRESLEY