Toilet Flush Handle Extortionate Price Charged. ?

Could anyone give me an idea what a plumber would charge to change a broken flush handle because my 83yr old mother was charged £145.  I wasn't present at the time or else this would not have not have happened because I think its extortionate.  Am I right in thinking this. :suspect:

Edited by PRESLEY

If its just the handle,then probably no more the £25-£30 ? Looks like its another example of people being ripped off,suggest you contact the person who did it and demand at least a £100 refund,good luck.

Just now, Chaddamp said:

If its just the handle,then probably no more the £25-£30 ? Looks like its another example of people being ripped off,suggest you contact the person who did it and demand at least a £100 refund,good luck.

Thankyou. He left no itemised bill/invoice but said he said he would put it in the post. He will be contacted shortly telling him he as a week to send one or else the police/trading standards will be contacted.  I can't see any chance of getting any where with this but just to see how it goes.  :thumbsup:

Police?  What on earth are the police going to get involved for?  It's none of their business and they won't thank you for wasting their time on a civil consumer issue.

Some more information is required? How long was the plumber there?  If two hours, then it's not unreasonable.  There could be a reason why it took longer than you might expect.

I'm no DIY expert, but new handle £5 aprox, 15mins max to fit, so yes scandalous. 

4 minutes ago, bendix said:

Police?  What on earth are the police going to get involved for?  It's none of their business and they won't thank you for wasting their time on a civil consumer issue.

Some more information is required? How long was the plumber there?  If two hours, then it's not unreasonable.  There could be a reason why it took longer than you might expect.

I realise its a civil consumer issue  but Extortion is what on earth for starters. Theft.  He was there for 25 mins.  The Police should be notified to prevent this Shark taking some other Pensioner around the corner.

4 minutes ago, Padders said:

I'm no DIY expert, but new handle £5 aprox, 15mins max to fit, so yes scandalous. 

Thanks for that Padders.  :thumbsup:

Probably charged the full hour's labour, which was probably £100 

Then a £10 Screwfix handle with a 100% markup.

If you were in London and called in Pimlico Plumbers after 12 am, you would be charged £200 + parts + VAT 1 hr minimum for the handle job! On the plus side they don't charge for credit card payments, call-out, travel time, fuel, parking, Congestion/ULEZ, or extra for the 1 hour emergency response (subject to availability) - unlike their competitors.

Hope you get a refund!

Our toilet flush broke last year (one of those ‘contemporary design’ button ones). Was just about to call a plumber, then looked on youtube, 10 mins with a screwdriver and WD 40, it was done and been fine ever since, they’re not that complicated.

5 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Could anyone give me an idea what a plumber would charge to change a broken flush handle because my 83yr old mother was charged £145.  I wasn't present at the time or else this would not have not have happened because I think its extortionate.  Am I right in thinking this. :suspect:

My plumber would charge around £45  + parts (presumably a toilet handle is not expensive...) assuming I did not ask him to come immediately and get an emergency charging rate.

5 minutes ago, nightrider said:

My plumber would charge around £45  + parts (presumably a toilet handle is not expensive...) assuming I did not ask him to come immediately and get an emergency charging rate.

To be fair you don't even need a plumber, it's such a simple job any handyman could fix it, of course the lady wouldn't know that.

5 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Depends if it was an emergency call out, and what time of the day he came. Both make the bill higher.