Dvla A Warning

In the middle oFf last November we sold my wife's old car to a dealer.

She got a form after a few days from the DVLA that they had taken note that she was no longer the keeper.

Yesterday she got a Penalty Charge Notice  for not paying the  charge at the Dartford cTunnel at the end of December going North.

She has never used the crossing.

Needless to say I haven't got the note from the DVLA or any paperwork about the car.

SO it seems that DVLA records aren't up to date  and you should keep all correspondence from them just in case it's needed in future.

Have you deided how you are going to proceed/deal with this?

Have you got anything in writing from the dealer?

Appealing is easy but you need:

Supporting evidence

You will be able to upload legible scans as PDF, JPEG or PNG as supporting evidence, for example:

a receipt or unique transaction number for your payment

the name and address of the person you sold the vehicle to and a proof of sale document

evidence that the vehicle was in a different location at the contravention time

any other evidence to assist us understanding your case

There are more charges these days, from parking, speeding to limited parking at supermarkets. Vehicle owners need to keep the V5 up to date at all times and when the owner changes.

Perhaps your wife's old car Reg Plate has been cloned! Just a thought...it is really common place nowadays.

2 hours ago, davyboy said:

In the middle oFf last November we sold my wife's old car to a dealer.

She got a form after a few days from the DVLA that they had taken note that she was no longer the keeper.

Yesterday she got a Penalty Charge Notice  for not paying the  charge at the Dartford cTunnel at the end of December going North.

She has never used the crossing.

Needless to say I haven't got the note from the DVLA or any paperwork about the car.

SO it seems that DVLA records aren't up to date  and you should keep all correspondence from them just in case it's needed in future.

If you ever sell a car in future take a picture of paperwork saying you are no longer the owner and then email to yourself and save that email 

I've had stuff like this happen after my husband died ,  & I had to sell/give away  about thirteen vehicles & motorbikes,  & it's still happening.     If I haven't got any paperwork,   I've usually found that writing a letter to them explaining the situation will sort it.         I've had trouble with cloning,   parking fines, speeding fines,   new keepers not doing things properly,   but it's always been waived by the authorities when I've told them what's happened.

Obviously it's better to keep records of everything, so that's a lesson learned.         Hope you can sort it.

I traded my car in less than 3 hours ago and have received an E-mail from DVLA acknowledging I am no longer the owner of the vehicle just traded in. Have you checked your E-mails?

I have contacted the dealer and he said he will sort this out.

He said that DVLA are 8 weeks behind  updating their files!!

4 hours ago, davyboy said:

I have contacted the dealer and he said he will sort this out.

He said that DVLA are 8 weeks behind  updating their files!!

That's absolute nonsense. 

I sent my v5 off for a change of address on Friday last week and got my updated V5 in the post yesterday. 

What's more likely is that the dealer didn't send the relevant paperwork to DVSA... 

Is this a record? Bought the car yesterday and received the V5C today in the post. So much for saying they are 8 weeks behind.🤔

have they sent a photo of the offense?

I was accused of using a bus lane in Reading about a year ago - it was a transit, not my fusion.

the guy looking at the photo couldn't even read the number plate correctly.

last time I was in Reading was about '76 - Jeff Johnson scored in an Owls win.

Check the photo with care if you have it.