0 Hour Contract. Good Or Bad? what if working within an educating sector?

I’m wanting to return back to work. I’m looking for 16hr as I have two children, one of which is disabled. I’m applying for vacancy at a school. However the contract offered is a 0hr contract. Which means in short, I will not be paid during school holidays. Apparently those who already work at the school, not on 0hr contract, gets paid through the holidays..as a small amount is deducted from their wages every month, and is used for wages during school holidays.

I find this very confusing.  Any insight into this, or similar experiences/ worries would be welcomed.

5 minutes ago, DEE78 said:

I’m wanting to return back to work. I’m looking for 16hr as I have two children, one of which is disabled. I’m applying for vacancy at a school. However the contract offered is a 0hr contract. Which means in short, I will not be paid during school holidays. Apparently those who already work at the school, not on 0hr contract, gets paid through the holidays..as a small amount is deducted from their wages every month, and is used for wages during school holidays.

I find this very confusing.  Any insight into this, or similar experiences/ worries would be welcomed.

Them who aren't on 0hr contracts still don't get paid apart from with their own money they have already earned, so your both in the same boat.  A fellow I know signed off to start a job, he was on 0hr contract hrs some days the firm wanted him and some days they didn't, for the days he didn't work due to no fault of his own he didn't get paid so he went back to the job centre who press ganged him into taking the job chucking out ultimatums like take this job or we will stop your benefits, thats all well and good if there is a proper paying job instead of being used like an off and on if and when required hand rag.  The dole wouldn't help him out for the days he was short and it was their fault he was in this mess.  Stop these firms doing this. 

This is my fear. More so with me having dependants. There seems to be only one winner when it comes to 0hr contracts. With little advice out there, and the ones there is you have to jump through hoops just to speak to a human!..going to job centres to seek career advice is a waste of time! How many more people  is in this situation. I feel 0hr contract is good as a second job..maybe couriering. But to offer these contracts out to suit the employer ONLY is unfair. Making returning back to work hard!! 

My gripe is,  the job centre are really good at pushing people into these type of hrs/jobs but like I mentioned previously when the firms aren't paying you and you have bills and a mortgage/full rent to pay and have to go back to the job center and ask for help to pay the footfall.  That lot whos fault your in this mess in the first place just don't want to know. Distgusting and this Goverment back this behaviour because they flipping invented it.  :suspect:

0 hrs contracts need stopping now, it is there to save money for employers, no benefit to anyone who needs employment.

45 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

0 hrs contracts need stopping now, it is there to save money for employers, no benefit to anyone who needs employment.

Well said . :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, lottiecass said:

Zero hours suit some people.  Perhaps a person whose partner earns a reasonable income but they still want a few hours.  Students? Early retired?   However, I agree that those types of contracts must make coming off benefits worrying.  

So apparently, for people with dependants, that are on a 0hr contract, and work within a school (Term Time Worker) will most likely be awarded Working Tax Credit. Your payment will be stretched, so you will have no break in payments during school breaks. 
I hope that this info is helpful to others. 
I agree 0 hour contract suits some people but not all, and can make ‘going back to work’ that bit more daunting.

19 hours ago, lottiecass said:

Agree there are a small amount of cases where 0 hour contracts are ok but the vast majority are purely to save the employer money and offer the employee less benefits.They are massively abused by people like Sports Direct.

On 15/01/2020 at 11:35, PRESLEY said:

That lot whos fault your in this mess in the first place just don't want to know. Distgusting and this Goverment back this behaviour because they flipping invented it.  :suspect:

and don't forget the Union's that stood back and let it happen as well - shame on you all

On 17/01/2020 at 09:32, Rockers rule said:

and don't forget the Union's that stood back and let it happen as well - shame on you all

the unions couldn't do anything to stop it happening

3 hours ago, andyofborg said:

the unions couldn't do anything to stop it happening

Of course they could, but instead protected the few who were poorly paid for the sake of others who wern't.