We’re buying a house in the Upperthorpe area. A search has shown the site to be a Radon affected area (5 - 10% of houses affected). It’s a fairly modern house, built early 80s, and has a solid concrete foundation. I would have thought this would prevent gas (which rises from small uranium deposits in rocks underground ) from building up in the house. The only way to know for sure if it affects this property is to carry out a series of tests over 6 months, which I imagine would be expensive.

Does anyone have experience of dealing with this problem? What is the risk in houses without cellars? And how much does a full Radon test cost?

Many thanks in advance for any help with this.

Stephen Parr

If it was me I'd be looking for a different house. If it's a problem now it's going to affect the resale value. as things like that can put some people off no matter what certificates you've got to say it's fixed.

If it was a Georgian mansion that you were getting at a fraction of its value because of this issue, then maybe you could sort the problem and it might be worth putting up with it. Otherwise move on I'd say.

Radon is a common item brought up in searches.

I've not actually heard of anyone having problems with it though, sometimes the surveys make things seem loads worse than they actually are.

32 minutes ago, geared said:

Radon is a common item brought up in searches.

I've not actually heard of anyone having problems with it though, sometimes the surveys make things seem loads worse than they actually are.

Yes, Many preliminary searches raise the possibility, esp. on properties in Derbyshire.

As with all such entries, it's up o the prospective purchaser whether or not to investigate further.

But the first response should be to refer the matter to the vendor's solicitors, asking whether V has ever investigated (and, if so, with what outcome) or taken appropriate anti-radon measures..

I have built hundreds of houses over the years. Think they first started with this test about 40  years ago in certain areas were coal mines were 

. We had to put a polythene membrane under site concrete under joists if i remember it was a number of new houses in stavely  chesterfield that had it.  Should have thaught houses with solid floors had the membrane in most definately . Seems as people doing mortgages a re just  copying from a sheet . I have never known a house have it in and if it was built in the last 30 years the land wold have to been tested before building consent given . You can ring town hall  planing and ask and have a chat with them 

It must be 40 years since the inspectors used to ask about it  / Have you got your radon barrier in most ares never ask. Did an extention 10 years okay in rotherham inspectors  werent  bothered if it had it or not. Solid floors is house built on a raft / 

Seems to me Jeffery Shaws way is easiest way to go 

Edited by spider1