Trying To Be Vegetarian But.

When out with mates and i say no kebab for me...they say  well have a sausage then..or if we go out with the inlaws for sunday lunch they say  you dont eat meat???  Whyever not?  Ooooh its lovely this beef  ooooh its so soft  you should try it, do you want some, here whilst trying to shove a fork full of cow into my mouth. When i try to be firm and polite they get all huffy and dont talk to me for the rest of the day.....any advice ???

20 minutes ago, Jason302 said:

.....any advice ???

Invite me long to Sunday lunch at your inlaws then!

I wouldn't say no to a face full of cow right now . . . mmm, roast beeeeeeeeeef  😋

Sorry, I know I'm not much help 😊

Edited by The Joker

go out with different friends

1 hour ago, Jason302 said:

When out with mates and i say no kebab for me...they say  well have a sausage then.

Tell your mates to stop being dicks about it - it wasn't funny the first time they did it and it's really effing boring now. If they don't, find some other friends to go out with.

.or if we go out with the inlaws for sunday lunch they say  you dont eat meat???  Whyever not?  Ooooh its lovely this beef  ooooh its so soft  you should try it, do you want some, here whilst trying to shove a fork full of cow into my mouth. When i try to be firm and polite they get all huffy and dont talk to me for the rest of the day.....any advice ???

It sounds like you're going to have to shock your family into actually thinking about how what they are doing effects you. I had trouble getting my family to accept I'd gone veggie, although because I lived far away it was only really an issue at big family events (weddings, funerals, etc.). After several events where there wasn't anything I could eat, I told them "Being a vegetarian is part of who I am and you failing to accept that feels like you're rejecting me as a member of this family. If there's another family event where there isn't any food I can eat it will be the last one I ever attend." They've made sure there's stuff I can eat since then.

You need to do something similar. Point out how utterly childish and disrespectful trying to shove meat into your mouth is - even if they claim they were 'only joking'. Don't worry about creating a scene and upsetting them, they obviously aren't worried about upsetting you.

do what YOU want to do not what they want you to, ive been vegi since the 80s, obviously i have a lot of friends and family that eat meat, still get crap now but......

3 hours ago, Jason302 said:

When out with mates and i say no kebab for me...they say  well have a sausage then..or if we go out with the inlaws for sunday lunch they say  you dont eat meat???  Whyever not?  Ooooh its lovely this beef  ooooh its so soft  you should try it, do you want some, here whilst trying to shove a fork full of cow into my mouth. When i try to be firm and polite they get all huffy and dont talk to me for the rest of the day.....any advice ???

My local chippy do a leek and cheese (or something like that) pukka pie. 

Failing that, steer them towards a pizza - safe ground (unless your vegan). But you'd have thought more veggie stuff would have been available. And tell your mates to stop being arses.

I know I'm deviating  a little but it's  a bit like the smoking thing isn't  it?

Some years agof our local pub had a smoking rooms and a none smoking room but it didn't  work  because when you're  in a crowd of say 8 and 3 of you smoke and the others dont then the group was split up.

So my advice is  what ever you do as friends or family together,  get on with it and appreciate  that we all have different tastes.

To be fair there's probably very little meat in a take-away kebab or sausage.  Sorry, I know that's no help.

If your acquaintances are totally not going to respect the 'kind to animals' thing, then tell them you don't want to carry on with the conversation as you don't want to put them off their food.  If they then say, 'you'll never do that', then I think their fair game for ' the talk'.

Alternatively, just keep smiling and saying 'I'm ok, thanks', they will soon stop - not because they'll eventually realise they are being decks but because they'll get bored stupider of not getting any other reaction out of you.

Edited by Lex Luthor

Nothing that hasn't already been said. Just refuse they'll eventually get bored. Personally I'd go out with better people. I'm no vegetarian, no real desire to be either but I couldn't care less if the person I'm eating with is. The people I don't want to eat with are the preachy foodie types. 

Edited by Tomm06

20 hours ago, davyboy said:

go out with different friends

This.

No offence but your friends and family sound like a right bunch of <removed>.

Who trys to shove folkfulls of food into someone's mouth when they've clearly said they don't want it?

Edited by nikki-red

2 hours ago, geared said:

This.

No offence but your friends and family sound like a right bunch of <removed>.

Who trys to shove folkfulls of food into someone's mouth when they've clearly said they don't want it?

But then again we get the other side of the story where none meat eaters are doing their best stop others eating meat. What has it got to do with them, we should all eat what we want to eat without being dictated to.

Edited by nikki-red

13 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

But then again we get the other side of the story where none meat eaters are doing their best stop others eating meat. What has it got to do with them, we should all eat what we want to eat without being dictated to.

Where has the OP said anything that would indicate to you that they have tried to stop anyone from eating meat?

There is no other side of the story here - you are just strawmaning.