2020/21 Recommended Tradesmen Megathread No Advertising/Jobs/Quotes

nikki-red

This is the 2020 Recommended Tradesmen thread. Please use the Job Vacancies section for any actual jobs or if youre wanting  quotes.
STRICTLY NO ADVERTISING.

You can still browse through the previous thread here...

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/469128-20182019-recommended-tradesmen-megathread-no-advertisingjobsquotes/

Message added by nikki-red

I think you are talking about a much bigger opening than say 6' achievable  with two hinged opening french window type doors other wise thats what you would have been going for. 3 or more panels  that concertina to one side either a runner on top or at bottom (which you will have to keep cleaning out - not lived with one myself but experience with sliding patio says avoid bottom runner like covid19).

If its a proper old Stone built building rather than a more modern stone faced building then i cringe at the thought. There will be plenty that will do it if works short enough, claim to have adequate expertise, can show you similar examples of their work which seems ok and yours will probably be ok for many years but you really need a proper expert in heritage buildings to advise and inspect. Definitely not the type of surveyor normally used when buying a house or no matter what letters they have after their name, or expect council building officer to control the work and materials used with the right sympathy for your building type.

You will be lucky to find a builder in Sheffield that is experienced with the lime mortar for start, and no builders foam, expect " whaaaaat, our kid allus yuese it, nowt fallen down yet". 

Sorry, getting a bit cynical in my old age.

Old buildings are built in different ways, some are like dry stone walls where the two faces are built up and small loose material is put in the middle for support, nightmare stuff.

21 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

I think you are talking about a much bigger opening than say 6' achievable  with two hinged opening french window type doors other wise thats what you would have been going for. 3 or more panels  that concertina to one side either a runner on top or at bottom (which you will have to keep cleaning out - not lived with one myself but experience with sliding patio says avoid bottom runner like covid19).

If its a proper old Stone built building rather than a more modern stone faced building then i cringe at the thought. There will be plenty that will do it if works short enough, claim to have adequate expertise, can show you similar examples of their work which seems ok and yours will probably be ok for many years but you really need a proper expert in heritage buildings to advise and inspect. Definitely not the type of surveyor normally used when buying a house or no matter what letters they have after their name, or expect council building officer to control the work and materials used with the right sympathy for your building type.

You will be lucky to find a builder in Sheffield that is experienced with the lime mortar for start, and no builders foam, expect " whaaaaat, our kid allus yuese it, nowt fallen down yet". 

Sorry, getting a bit cynical in my old age.

Old buildings are built in different ways, some are like dry stone walls where the two faces are built up and small loose material is put in the middle for support, nightmare stuff.

Last thing you want in buildings like this are bi fold doors nor sliding patio doors . More of a pair of opening doors in wood . I was a builder / bricklayer for 50 yrs done loads of stone buildings you seem to be rambling on making 

hard work of things i dont think its chatsworth were he wants a job sorting 

On 16/10/2020 at 18:02, Daniel and Ruth said:

Hi all, we want bi-folding doors installing in the back of our house. Currently we're having difficulty getting a builder to either reply with a quote, or find a window company that will do the building work for us. 

It's an older large stone house and the wall we want removing is a structural wall, so needs a lintel installing by someone who knows what they're doing.

The other concern is marrying the two up, I don't want a huge hole in the back of the house while I wait for the doors, I'm struggling to get an accurate estimate of the size of hole the builders will make, to order the doors, it's a real chicken and egg situation.

Please can anyone help?

Thanks,

Daniel and Ruth

Your first port of call is to employ a structural engineer to do a drawing with calculations for the lintel required.

As for builders, the trade is booming at the moment so a lot aren't even answering the phone at the moment.

Once you've got your drawing, start making calls.

Good luck.

Not overly complicated tbh. Only thing that may take a while is the lead time from ordering. I got some mis measures and fitted them myself on my garage conversion. 

Hi all, thanks for the replies. We have the drawings and calculations done. 

We aren't looking for advice on what to have, but actual recommendations on builders or bi-fold door companies. We have quotes for both, but are understandably looking at all our options before making a decision. 

Hi i have recently purchased a detached house and would like the chimney taking out please can anyone recommend anyone who can do this job please 

Hi, can anyone please recomend a good plasterer who would plaster 2 rooms in around £300. Need asap 

I have damp coming through my front wall on the ground floor. It is not rising damp. I have been told that repointing the stone fronting is unlikely to solve the problem since the stone itself is porous. 

Can anyone recommend someone who would seal the stone facade? I live in Walkley. I also expect I'll need to have the guttering replaced at the same time.

I have previously been told that rain might be getting between the stone front and the brick, but I have had that area (behind the guttering) sealed and the problem persists.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

I have searched Sheffield Forum for this topic and not found anything, so please excuse me if advice on this matter has already been posted.

Hi

Can anyone recommend a loft conversion builder please. 

Thnak you

hi, can any1 recommend a electrician who can move a fuse board and the main leads to the next room 

I'm also after an electrician, primarily to find & resolve a problem with my back porch lighting, but also to fit two PIR outside lights

I have a few maintenace issues to get completed at a rental property. The main issue is the bath screen which is letting water through.

when this is water tight, we need the bath panel replaced and the grouting checked. Possibly a few other odds and ends.

I would appreciate any recommendations from satisfied customers please. Preferably for a company who is likely to be available  to help me quite soon.