Broadband, Who To Go With?

We switched from EE to sky but haven't been happy with sky as the Xbox loses signal more upstairs since changing. So deciding wether to go back to EE, moving to plus net or paying abit more for BT to get the booster device to put in the Xbox room.

Anyone got any advice as to which of the 3 I'd be best off with?

What about virgin media.  Some good deals for new customers ,that’s if your road has virgin installed 

why not speak to sky and see if they can improve the signal with a booster, they have at my daughters. 

When i moved to sky broadband they hardwired the ethernet externally (eventually) at their cost to ensure i got the speeds i should as the signal on the tv downloads kept dropping out.

No don't think it does and tbh seen quite a few people on Facebook having problems with theirs anyway so not sure I'd have them. 

1 minute ago, willman said:

why not speak to sky and see if they can improve the signal with a booster, they have at my daughters. 

When i moved to sky broadband they hardwired the ethernet externally (eventually) at their cost to ensure i got the speeds i should as the signal on the tv downloads kept dropping out.

It's an option I guess. Did your daughter check the speeds in different rooms first? It's upstairs we seem to have more problems with it

My daughters is a three story house and theres trouble on the top floor so they put a booster in the middle floor . (@skys expense)

The final solution would be again to run an external ethernet up to the top floor,but she can't be bothered to keep nagging at them to do it.

1 minute ago, willman said:

My daughters is a three story house and theres trouble on the top floor so they put a booster in the middle floor . (@skys expense)

The final solution would be again to run an external ethernet up to the top floor,but she can't be bothered to keep nagging at them to do it.

Might have to have a word then before leaving, see if they'll do anything. I've had it coming to 2 years so wether they would I'm not sure but worth a try depending how much we're paying for it

1 hour ago, NERVY-OWL said:

We switched from EE to sky but haven't been happy with sky as the Xbox loses signal more upstairs since changing. So deciding wether to go back to EE, moving to plus net or paying abit more for BT to get the booster device to put in the Xbox room.

Anyone got any advice as to which of the 3 I'd be best off with?

Instead of changing provider, get powerlan adapters so you can connect the console by ethernet via your power sockets. 

1 minute ago, Albert the Cat said:

Instead of changing provider, get powerlan adapters so you can connect the console by ethernet via your power sockets. 

Not seen those. Just had a quick look, would the ethernet run from the console to the plug then? He is having to run his Xbox and TV etc off an adaptor as he only has one plug in his room, not sure if that makes a difference and is it as good as a signal booster without ethernet?

13 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

^^^ This, especially if you've had a good service so far.  I was with Sky for two years and only had one instance of downtime for 4 hours.

And like all providers, if they're supplying a free router, chances are its cheap and not great, so look into a replacement (TP Link are good) or powerline adapters (again - TP Link)   I'm using the AV600 to give two wired network points upstairs as well as wifi.

Edited by alchresearch

33 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

Not seen those. Just had a quick look, would the ethernet run from the console to the plug then? He is having to run his Xbox and TV etc off an adaptor as he only has one plug in his room, not sure if that makes a difference and is it as good as a signal booster without ethernet?

It's cost aswell as not sure if I'm paying too much but I'll definitely look at the suggestions, did have a brief look at things like that but I'm not particularly techy