Duty To Care For Parents?

21 hours ago, geared said:

They're more than wise to that trick, they will chase for the money regardless as it's a clear attempt to get around the rules.

You need a good number of years between changing names and needing care before it's considered off limits, 10 or more I believe.

I didn't say change the names if you read my post. Tennants in common stops anyone living there from being turfed out homeless. 

Edited by Chez2
spell check typed wrong there

20 hours ago, willman said:

I think its wrong that grandparents expect a handout in old age so that they can give someone money that they have stashed away.

I've written wills for a living i've heard every possible variation on the anecdotes you share and worse, yet the overriding reason is because people don't think they should pay for something when someone else is getting it for nothing.

Very caring of you I must say to expect their grandchildren to be made homeless if their grandparent(s) need to go into care.  Please explain why you think it is acceptable that their grand children should be turfed out on to the streets?  One is now working but the other is not yet in a permanent, full time job so couldn't afford to pay rent so would be homeless.  Tenants in common would stop them from being made homeless. 

1 hour ago, Chez2 said:

Very caring of you I must say to expect their grandchildren to be made homeless if their grandparent(s) need to go into care.  Please explain why you think it is acceptable that their grand children should be turfed out on to the streets?  One is now working but the other is not yet in a permanent, full time job so couldn't afford to pay rent so would be homeless.  Tenants in common would stop them from being made homeless. 

I said no such thing and that is abundantly clear from my response.  Their grandparents aren't in care and may not need to go into care.

If you also check up on care home costs and ways to pay there is no one size fits all and no specific ruling saying they would put on the streets,perhaps its better to have a full understanding than to hype up Daily Mail style potential scenarios that may well not happen.

If one owner remains in the home,the house won't be sold anyway and no one would be homeless. 

5 hours ago, Chez2 said:

I didn't say change the names if you read my post. Tennants in common stops anyone living there from being turfed out homeless. 

Doesn't stop being chased for the money though, thats the key point.

Well you all obviously know better than solicitors then. That is what they were advised to do to protect the grand children. Its especially important now  one grandparent has passed away leaving only one grand parent alive. If they need to go into care the grandchildren would be homeless without being tenants in common.   

It is advisable to get legal advice sooner than later if the elderly person and their family wish to protect inheritance. Social Services can claim deprivation of assets whatever the time frame - there is no seven or ten year rule. Signing over property has to be done when the owner could not foresee the need for social care. It has disadvantages and it is worth remembering that many people will never require a care home placement.  If the property is held as joint tenants it is worth considering changing it to tenants in common so that each person owns half of the property.  

For anyone who is facing the prospect of their relative going into care, in certain situations there is a mandatory disregard of property eg if there is anyone over 60 years of age, disabled or children who are living there.  It is also worth applying for a Continuing Health Care assessment because if successful, care is financed by the health authority so is not means tested. People who are terminally ill can be fast tracked for this funding. 

Successive governments have failed to tackle the social care crisis with the result that it is a complex and unfair situation. People are having to navigate the system when they are probably distressed due to the illness of the person and their caring responsibilities. It does seem unfair and creates bad feeling. It needs sorting out quickly. 

Edited by Jomie

10 hours ago, Jomie said:

It is advisable to get legal advice sooner than later if the elderly person and their family wish to protect inheritance. Social Services can claim deprivation of assets whatever the time frame - there is no seven or ten year rule. Signing over property has to be done when the owner could not foresee the need for social care. It has disadvantages and it is worth remembering that many people will never require a care home placement.  If the property is held as joint tenants it is worth considering changing it to tenants in common so that each person owns half of the property.  

For anyone who is facing the prospect of their relative going into care, in certain situations there is a mandatory disregard of property eg if there is anyone over 60 years of age, disabled or children who are living there.  It is also worth applying for a Continuing Health Care assessment because if successful, care is financed by the health authority so is not means tested. People who are terminally ill can be fast tracked for this funding. 

Successive governments have failed to tackle the social care crisis with the result that it is a complex and unfair situation. People are having to navigate the system when they are probably distressed due to the illness of the person and their caring responsibilities. It does seem unfair and creates bad feeling. It needs sorting out quickly. 

When my lovely Mum was alive and living with Alzheimers disease she had a Continuing Health Care Assessment. Although she couldn't talk, walk, feed or dress herself and needed constant care for all her physical needs she didn't qualify for any health authority funding. We were told that because she was in her 80's, her physical and mental state was caused by the aging process she didn't qualify for any money from them.

Health cared funded from the cradle to the grave ? Hefferdust !

We went through the appeal process which was very long and difficult to navigate. We were made to attend a meeting at the building on Prince of Wales Road - 2 of us and around 12 'health care professionals' around a table. It was very stressful and a complete waste of time.

The next letter we received after the meeting referred my Mum as 'deceased' which caused us even more distress. Mum has since passed away but the process takes so long - almost as if deliberately so with the hope the applicant will pass away or the family can't handle the upset and stress of it all and give up.

Good luck to anyone who has to go through this process.

Protecting inheritance has to be dealt with many years in advance well before those who have the assets health starts to fall - likely as not this will be far too late.

My advice would be for anyone who has property or significant funds to seek legal advice as soon as they can to ensure that their assets aren't forced to be used to fund care which may be needed very unexpectedly.

Edited by Daven

On 18/01/2020 at 11:19, Jomie said:

I agree; tenants in common is what my relatives have done to protect their grand kids living with them. People above don't seem to understand what that means.

My parents have prepared power of attorney because they had to deal with it when my nan had already got dementia, it much more difficult and traumatic then.