Julie Dore Standing Down From Council In May

20 hours ago, Planner1 said:

You can check the "allowances" that Sheffield Councillors receive here

You'll see that Julie Dore gets about £30k per annum. If you think that this is a lot for someone in charge of an organisation with a turnover of over a billion pounds a year, I really think you need a reality check. Check out how much the leaders of FTSE 100 businesses get. Median pay for a FTSE 100 CEO is circa £4m per annum, that's 133 times what Julie Dore gets...

Not all public employees get paid more than the private sector equivalents, certainly in my area of work I'd get paid a bit more in the private sector and be able to negotiate my salary with my employer.

Many years of government austerity cuts in funding  mean that this simply is not true.

In my field, most local authorities don't have enough staff to offer more than just a basic service. Many can't recruit to fill vacancies because their salaries are simply not competitive with the private sector and the workloads and conditions are not as good as private sector. Many authorities rely on bringing in the private sector to cover peaks in workload (ie anything over and above basic daily operations and some don't have enough staff to cover that!).

They don't work hard enough,too much easy flexi time being built up to get extra time off,too much sick time taken with full pay,think you need to look into private sector rights ,or is that too frightening for you to contemplate?

1 hour ago, Chaddamp said:

Are you a politician? at least you sound like a sorried Labour backer? ,you've not replied directly to what I've said,£30k is her expenses?  All councils have squandered monies under a Labour council.Just wait til Conservatives get in again ,they know how to spend money efficiently AND get rid of the attitude of peoples who won't adapt modernity.

Like Boris Johnson and the Garden Bridge in London 😎

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/13/garden-bridge-charity-spent-535m-with-no-construction-tfl-finds

I'm specifically talking about Sheffield here,you read the Guardian,so yes you're at least  mid to left? OK like Gordon Brown with selling off gold? I remember his face after the world financial crash,it was as if he thought, "ooooh thank god now I've got an excuse for over borrowing due to Union pressure.

6 hours ago, Chaddamp said:

Are you a politician? at least you sound like a sorried Labour backer? ,you've not replied directly to what I've said,£30k is her expenses?  All councils have squandered monies under a Labour council.Just wait til Conservatives get in again ,they know how to spend money efficiently AND get rid of the attitude of peoples who won't adapt modernity.

" modernity " The Tories are good at getting rid of things that they personally have no use or need for.  How many kids of top Tories or they themselves went to State Schools or rely on the NHS for health care. I'm sure if they could get away with it they would  privatisé  the Police , as I'm sure they could pay for their own security. The Tories and their rich backers from the Financial Services and Banking caused a financial crisis in 2007-8, aided and abetted by de-regulation, Blair govt. just as culpable as previous Tory govts. enabled this. The Tory govt of Cameron and Osborne put  that cost onto the poorest by cutting Public Services and welfare costs

Modernity my <removed>

Edited by nikki-red

26 minutes ago, Chaddamp said:

I "ooooh thank god now I've got an excuse for over borrowing due to Union pressure."

At the time of the worldwide Credit Crunch, the UK's National debt was lower as a percentage of GDP than when Labour  came into power.

32 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

" modernity " The Tories are good at getting rid of things that they personally have no use or need for.  How many kids of top Tories or they themselves went to State Schools or rely on the NHS for health care. I'm sure if they could get away with it they would  privatisé  the Police , as I'm sure they could pay for their own security. The Tories and their rich backers from the Financial Services and Banking caused a financial crisis in 2007-8, aided and abetted by de-regulation, Blair govt. just as culpable as previous Tory govts. enabled this. The Tory govt of Cameron and Osborne put  that cost onto the poorest by cutting Public Services and welfare costs

Modernity my a**e

Paying off the **** deals Labour put in,ie the drugs deal under Blair ,nobody allowed to see info on deal or minutes of the meeting,the PFI deals which are costing tax payers dearly now and for years to come.The inflexibility of union workers,worst of which is the signal mans union,get real,there's no job forever especially for those that think there  is ,ie the militant unions......remember the coal strike?

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Being the Leader of a large Council is a very big job and I'd suggest that anyone who thinks getting paid £30k per annum for doing that is way too much ought to try it for a few days and see what they think then.

But.. The job is basically a voluntary one with paid expenses and not waged which any councillor/leader has already accepted as being part of that when they took on the role. Any person who chooses to be a candidate in any local election is also doing it mainly on a political will as well.

On 12/01/2020 at 16:49, Planner1 said:

You'll see that Julie Dore gets about £30k per annum. If you think that this is a lot for someone in charge of an organisation with a turnover of over a billion pounds a year, I really think you need a reality check. Check out how much the leaders of FTSE 100 businesses get. Median pay for a FTSE 100 CEO is circa £4m per annum, that's 133 times what Julie Dore gets...

Sheffield Council is run by its officers, not Julie Dore or the "cabinet". Her "job" consists of occasionally deciding between a couple of options put to her by the officers. The only noteworthy thing she has done is bring Sheffield to national attention through cutting down trees. In the face of cuts, other Councils have innovated. Julie Dore and the rest of the Labour Group have just moaned and complained that its the Government's fault services are so poor. 

FTSE 100 companies have to deal with worldwide competition. Councils do not have other councils breathing down their necks offering to deliver better library services. FTSE 100 Companies have enormous freedom about what they do, what they spend, what they pay... Sheffield Council just puts up Council Tax by the maximum permitted amount each  year. Most of the budget is earmarked for statutory services and councilors have virtually no latitude to change it. There is no comparison whatsoever between a Council and a FTSE100 Company. 

6 hours ago, Chaddamp said:

you mean like the tory run northhamptonshire county council?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jan/29/northamptonshire-bankrupt-council-two-percent-tax-hike-james-brokenshire-local-government-secretary

Note that in local councils the wages that councillors are paid are referred to as "expenses".  So if Julie Dore is getting "£30k in expenses", that doesn't mean she's been jetting off around the world, it means she's been paid a salary for doing a job. (Whether she's done the job well is of course a matter for political debate).

Can we have a party no Julie bore is going  sge has made a complete muck up of Sheffield whilst in power 

I assume I'm (as if often the case) over-concerned here but I'd still welcome a categorical assurance that the whole "city of sanctuary" thing under Julie's watch hasn't led to any increase (whatsoever) in council (or policing) costs.