Julie Dore Standing Down From Council In May

See article in Yorkshire Post; https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/sheffield-city-council-leader-julie-dore-to-step-down-after-nine-years-1-10196610

Sheffield Council leader Julie Dore is quitting – she will step down at May’s local elections after nine years in charge.

Coun Dore will not seek re-election in her Park and Arbourthorne ward but will remain leader of the council until then.

She said: “My term ends this May and I have had to make a decision about carrying on for another four years. I feel that from a personal perspective, this is the right time for me to move on.

Sheffield Council admits they 'got things wrong' over tree felling saga
“I truly believe in what this city stands for – its values of solidarity, collectivism, hard work, integrity, humility, grit and determination, its character and most of all its people.

“The opportunity to represent Sheffield both inside and outside of the city and to fight for our values has been such an honour for me so above all else I would like to think the people of Sheffield for giving me this opportunity.”

A councillor for 20 years, she became leader in 2011. Her announcement comes just two weeks after former chief executive John Mothersole retired from the authority.

Coun Dore added: “It has been an incredible honour to represent the community where I have grown up, lived throughout my life and my family live in and to see it transform over that time and to serve the city as Leader for the past nine years.

“I would like to thank all of the people I have worked with across the city, from so many different walks of life whose commitment and dedication to Sheffield and to all the different communities within it are so crucial in making us the city that we are.”

And more.............

She over paid like ALL public sector workers compared with private sector employees ,can't wait til we can see employment conditions of pay and pension rights of average worker against average  private sector employee .The general public would NEVER vote Labour in again if that was published factually  .So much of the public sector is over manned and inefficient and too costly hence high taxes.Just one example... at a recent funeral when I was a pole bearer for my dear friend,the Sheffield Mayor turned up,complete with his driver and polished Jaguar vehicle,its just so ponssy 

OOOh and what pension will she be on ???????

1 hour ago, Chaddamp said:

She over paid like ALL public sector workers compared with private sector employees ,

You can check the "allowances" that Sheffield Councillors receive here

You'll see that Julie Dore gets about £30k per annum. If you think that this is a lot for someone in charge of an organisation with a turnover of over a billion pounds a year, I really think you need a reality check. Check out how much the leaders of FTSE 100 businesses get. Median pay for a FTSE 100 CEO is circa £4m per annum, that's 133 times what Julie Dore gets...

Not all public employees get paid more than the private sector equivalents, certainly in my area of work I'd get paid a bit more in the private sector and be able to negotiate my salary with my employer.

So much of the public sector is over manned and inefficient and too costly hence high taxes.

Many years of government austerity cuts in funding  mean that this simply is not true.

In my field, most local authorities don't have enough staff to offer more than just a basic service. Many can't recruit to fill vacancies because their salaries are simply not competitive with the private sector and the workloads and conditions are not as good as private sector. Many authorities rely on bringing in the private sector to cover peaks in workload (ie anything over and above basic daily operations and some don't have enough staff to cover that!).

She over paid like ALL public sector workers compared with private sector employees ,can't wait til we can see employment conditions of pay and pension rights of average worker against average  private sector employee .The general public would NEVER vote Labour in again if that was published factually  .So much of the public sector is over manned and inefficient and too costly hence high taxes.Just one example... at a recent funeral when I was a pole bearer for my dear friend,the Sheffield Mayor turned up,complete with his driver and polished Jaguar vehicle,its just so ponssy 

OOOh and what pension will she be on ???????

Gibberish much? I don't like the woman or what she has done whilst in power but at least try to have a rational argument against the things she's done as an elected Councillor baring in mind that the CEO of the council earnt about 5 times as much.

As for the comparison between public and private income, a report was commissioned by George Osborne into just that. It was called The Hays report. He wanted to allign public and private pay but the report showed that to do so he would have to actually raise public pay, so the report got shelved.

2 hours ago, Chaddamp said:

.Just one example... at a recent funeral when I was a pole bearer for my dear friend,the Sheffield Mayor turned up,complete with his driver and polished Jaguar vehicle,its just so ponssy

You do know that Julie Dore and the Mayor of Sheffield are two different people, right?

Any I'm sure you know that the Mayor of Sheffield has several hundred events to attend each year.

Would you rather the Mayor of Sheffield attend these hundreds of public events using public transport ?

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

You'll see that Julie Dore gets about £30k per annum. If you think that this is a lot for someone in charge of an organisation with a turnover of over a billion pounds a year, I really think you need a reality check. Check out how much the leaders of FTSE 100 businesses get. Median pay for a FTSE 100 CEO is circa £4m per annum, that's 133 times what Julie Dore gets...

Please....  do not compare an ex-dinner lady with few qualifications to someone who runs an FTSE 100 company :nono: 

Now, I don't agree to excessive salary payouts but at least a FTSE 100 company CEO will be making a profit for its company and shareholders and its them that need to be taken to account for agreeing to pay their salary in the first place. As taxman says the CEO earns 5 times more but he is the person actually responsible for managing the overall resources of SCC and not Julie Dore.

16 hours ago, apelike said:

Please....  do not compare an ex-dinner lady with few qualifications to someone who runs an FTSE 100 company :nono: 

Now, I don't agree to excessive salary payouts but at least a FTSE 100 company CEO will be making a profit for its company and shareholders and its them that need to be taken to account for agreeing to pay their salary in the first place. As taxman says the CEO earns 5 times more but he is the person actually responsible for managing the overall resources of SCC and not Julie Dore.

The point is that in terms of turnover, SCC and a FTSE 100 company are similar. The organisations have a different purpose, but a Council is a very big and complex outfit and the Leader has to deal with all aspects of it.

Although the Leader isn't the same as the CEO, the Leader provides the direction for the organisation and takes a lot of  the strategic decisions. They do a lot of work for the organisation.

Being the Leader of a large Council is a very big job and I'd suggest that anyone who thinks getting paid £30k per annum for doing that is way too much ought to try it for a few days and see what they think then.

Edited by Planner1

the wage doesnt work for the job,but you know what the wages are when you take it on and theres lots on a lot less and they even volunteer free as well.met her twice ,not impressed really

19 hours ago, Planner1 said:

This is not a very useful comparison - how many FTSE 100 companies are queuing up to hire Julie Dore? I suspect none.

20 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Not all public employees get paid more than the private sector equivalents, certainly in my area of work I'd get paid a bit more in the private sector and be able to negotiate my salary with my employer.

Many years of government austerity cuts in funding  mean that this simply is not true.

In my field, most local authorities don't have enough staff to offer more than just a basic service. Many can't recruit to fill vacancies because their salaries are simply not competitive with the private sector and the workloads and conditions are not as good as private sector. Many authorities rely on bringing in the private sector to cover peaks in workload (ie anything over and above basic daily operations and some don't have enough staff to cover that!).

Are you a politician? at least you sound like a sorried Labour backer? ,you've not replied directly to what I've said,£30k is her expenses?  All councils have squandered monies under a Labour council.Just wait til Conservatives get in again ,they know how to spend money efficiently AND get rid of the attitude of peoples who won't adapt modernity.