Mortimer Road Horror Smash

On 13/01/2020 at 16:59, ivan edake said:

No you are right there you are not allowed to say what you think nowadays.

Yes you are.

12 hours ago, muddywolf said:

The GPS recorded the first car approaching that corner at 67MPH, the car following was going just as fast as it was keeping up with it.   The fact one took the corner fine and the other crashed was nothing more than luck / chance imo.  Anyone taking blind 90 degree bend at anywhere like those speeds is a total idiot regardless if they happen to crash or not.

They were just little boys in men's bodies, racing each other, in their souped-up Japanese Subaru speedy cars.  The guy who caused the crash is the Chairman of the international Subaru drivers club.  He probably thought he was a good driver and that his car was a good car that could take bends at high speed without any problem.  He was wrong.  There was no mention of what speed the motorcyclist was approaching that bend, but at least he was on the right side of the road.  Mr Subaru wasn't.  

Mortimer Road, in my opinion, is Sheffield's most beautiful road.  It stretches from the A57 near Hollow Meadows, to the A616 near Midhopestones.   It has some of the nicest scenery along its route, of any road around these parts.  But, it can be perilous, or should I say, the people that use it can be perilous.  It may seem like one is travelling on top of the world on empty open country road, but there is little room for error if you meet someone like Mr Subaru coming the other way. 

Mr Subaru is 41 years old.  I think all young boys go through a phase when they think they are the world's greatest drivers and take unnecessary risks.  But most of them grow out of it by the time they reach their late 20's or early 30's.  Mr Subaru hasn't.  That's the problem.  I hope it will remain on his consciousness for the rest of his life that his reckless driving came very close to killing another human being.  

Edited by DerbyTup

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

They were just little boys in men's bodies, racing each other, in their souped-up Japanese Subaru speedy cars.  The guy who caused the crash is the Chairman of the international Subaru drivers club.  He probably thought he was a good driver and that his car was a good car that could take bends at high speed without any problem.  He was wrong.  There was no mention of what speed the motorcyclist was approaching that bend, but at least he was on the right side of the road.  Mr Subaru wasn't.  

Mortimer Road, in my opinion, is Sheffield's most beautiful road.  It stretches from the A57 near Hollow Meadows, to the A616 near Midhopestones.   It has some of the nicest scenery along its route, of any road around these parts.  But, it can be perilous, or should I say, the people that use it can be perilous.  It may seem like one is travelling on top of the world on empty open country road, but there is little room for error if you meet someone like Mr Subaru coming the other way. 

Mr Subaru is 41 years old.  I think all young boys go through a phase when they think they are the world's greatest drivers and take unnecessary risks.  But most of them grow out of it by the time they reach their late 20's or early 30's.  Mr Subaru hasn't.  That's the problem.  I hope it will remain on his consciousness for the rest of his life that his reckless driving came very close to killing another human being.  

Well said. 

3 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

He probably thought he was a good driver

He'd installed front and rear cameras, clearly thinking it was other people he needed to worry about and not himself.

You would have thought if they like to engage in some spirited driving and speed limit breaking the last thing they'd do is record it!

2 hours ago, geared said:

He'd installed front and rear cameras, clearly thinking it was other people he needed to worry about and not himself.

You would have thought if they like to engage in some spirited driving and speed limit breaking the last thing they'd do is record it!

I'd use rather stronger and more negative language about it.  After all, cretins like him are putting other people's lives in danger......

Yes, well the language filter is pretty robust here, but I'm sure there's many other ways to describe that piece of driving.

4 hours ago, geared said:

I’ll hazard a guess - he installed front and rear cameras so as to show off to his friends his driving ‘skills’. 

maybe

20 minutes ago, Blue Day said:

I’ll hazard a guess - he installed front and rear cameras so as to show off to his friends his driving ‘skills’. 

maybe

What I find most significant about this is I reckon the driver is very upset about the whole thing, and had he killed the biker he'd possibly have been distraught.

And yet......

I sometimes see people driving like absolute lunatics and endangering other road users, so I gesture for them to slow down. But, almost without exception it's taken very badly by the drivers concerned, and I'd bet good money it would have been taken very badly by that particular driver in his souped up Subaru, right up to the point he had his smash.......

No-one is ever in the wrong when they're behind the wheel.

16 hours ago, geared said:

No-one is ever in the wrong when they're behind the wheel.

Funnily enough, in my experience, a woman is more likely than a man to admit she might not be the best driver in the world, which, ironically, makes them better drivers. The accident statistics (I'm talking serious accidents here not car park nudges) and the consequent lower insurance they pay, bear me out on that

Guest makapaka
On 12/01/2020 at 13:28, Chaddamp said:

16 months in prison , he'll be out by now? For goodness sake lets get our own rules back so we can punish people properly who do things like this ,build more prisons,get em in an chuck away the key.

What rules have been taken from us preventing this persons proper punishment in your eyes?

Specifically I'm not sure but my circle of friends think like me that the sentencing in many cases is too "soft".

If the person driving had been guilty of GBH  resulting in the same sort of injuries , I suspect he  would still be inside as he should be now for ruining the bikers life.