Roadworks On Inner Ring Rd

just as a way of an update, i contacted both SCR & SCC hoping to get answers because these road works have become such a pain i've had to change my working hours to avoid the ridiculous gridlock at peak times.

SCR said its nothing to do with them.

2 people from SCC got back to me and implied i am a bit thick because the website clearly says the works will be completed March 2019 so that's when they will be completed. When i pointed out the flaw in that statement, they changed their minds and said March 2020 and the website needs updating.

Another person (who to be fair sent a clear and detailed email and sounded like he knew what was going on) notified me that completion target is April 2020 and there are teams on the ground now finishing up. 

In all honesty, i have yet to see "teams".  I saw 2 burly men play fighting with each other in the works this morning as i waited in the jam, and 1 man sweeping up quite large area....with a hand brush.

so when the works will actually finish and the roads opened up fully is any ones  guess really!

The Chinese can build a working hospital from scratch in  8 days; we need 2 years to change a bit of a road.

strangely enough i use the route through the roadworks every other week to get to Rutland Rd,always during the rush hour.

I had one issue where the right turn in front of Tescos was closed and all traffic had to go down a side road behind the flats, and last week at the same point when the lights weren't working as i tried to turn right.

Now the crucial upcoming comment isn't that the road works caused any issues,but the pillocks blocking access to and from side routes and blatantly and obviously not allowing people to merge or cut through the queue when the lights weren't working,even though they were sat waiting for a green light themselves.

the workmen  spend more times looking at their phones

Just a warning to anyone planning on driving through this area today (Sunday 9th February) - lots of the fencing has blown over and partially blocking one lane and you can't see it until the last minute. Couple of near misses this morning...... 

Inner Ring Road Improvements - Status Update

Amey commenced their final surfacing programme on Monday 9th March, 2020 and this will last for a period of up to 6 weeks.

The surfacing will take place on weekdays between 19:00 and 06:30 and Sundays between 07:00 and 19:00 which reflects the many restrictions that have been put in place during the construction of this project.

The first half of the period will concentrate in the Northern half of the project area and generally between Chatham Street and Savile Street before then continuing within the main Corporation Street section.

Subject to any delays associated with staff resources on site arising from COVID-19, and normal caveats about weather conditions being favourable, the final surfacing should be completed by the end of April, 2020. The scheme will at that point be substantially complete.

I hope this assists in responding to your constituent on this matter
Best regards
Tom

Tom Finnegan-Smith
Head of Strategic Transport, Sustainability and Infrastructure
City Growth
Sheffield City Council