Roadworks On Inner Ring Rd

22 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

is it standard practice for SCC plans to be so badly designed and written?

And contain no start/end dates?

Think the council desperately needs to invest in some basic UX training before they start to  upload such incomprehensible rubbish.

Before you start criticising others for putting out badly written info, you perhaps ought to explain your abbreviations. UX?

The link I gave in that post was to a Sheffield City Region (SCR) web page. They fund the project. SCR are not the Council, they are a completely separate organisation.

Again, if you are going to criticise, at least take the trouble to properly understand what you are criticising. 

For what it’s worth, I find the level of published info is rather poor. Being fair to the SCC officers involved in the project, the people who run their website are very restrictive about how much info can be put on there as they don’t want the site to be too big and bloated, which I can understand. Doesn’t excuse the lack of basic information though.

13 hours ago, Meltman said:

You would think if these works are important to the  city and are going to great improvements to the environment, traffic flow, pedestrian flow and safety and cyclist safety and conveniance and generally be "a good thing" the council or people responsible for the works would put some resourses behind the project and be proud to get it done. As it stands it gives all the appearance as if no-one is bothered and if we disrupt enough pedestrians/cyclists/motorists they will go away kind of attitude.

This is a complaint you hear about every similar project, everywhere that those projects are implemented.

Carrying out a major civil engineering project in a public space, with main roads and major pedestrian routes within your site area is a very difficult thing to do.

It’s a highly regulated environment and you are limited on the times and days of the week on which you can carry out operations that significantly affect traffic flows. There are a lot of factors that can affect progress, like unexpected ground conditions or the presence of unexpected utility equipment that needs to be moved. There can be a myriad of reasons why progress can appear painfully slow at times and the project can overrun expected timescales. It’s just the way this type of project is. More often than not, just throwing more “resources” at it is not the right solution.

The contractors who carry out this type of project are very experienced and know what is needed. They would not get the work if they didn’t.

However, the scheme promoter ( the Council in this case) should keep the travelling public informed about relevant things such as, overall progress, expected end dates or dates that particular milestones in the project will be achieved. That can usually be done via a website with info boards on site signposting to it. 

If you are unhappy with the progress of the project, or what info is provided, complain to your local councillors ( you have three) and the Cabinet Member with responsibility for transport,  Councillor Bob Johnson. You could also complain to Dan Jarvis, the city region mayor, as his organisation fund the project.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

It’s a highly regulated environment and you are limited on the times and days of the week on which you can carry out operations that significantly affect traffic flows.

The current mess that has been there over a year with not much sign of any work being done has majorly affected traffic flow every single day- do the regulations not cover that?

Plus, the reason for the major traffic flow disruption is precisely the fact that huge areas that were previously road, are fenced off so can't affect traffic flow- yet there are usually no workers working there.

The contractors who carry out this type of project are very experienced and know what is needed. They would not get the work if they didn’t.

Contractors often get work that they can't actually carry out- putting in low bids for example (some might also mention the possibility of 'backhanders').

If the contracts only go to organisations with merit and competance, how do you explain Amey getting work?

2 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

The current mess that has been there over a year with not much sign of any work being done has majorly affected traffic flow every single day- do the regulations not cover that?

Plus, the reason for the major traffic flow disruption is precisely the fact that huge areas that were previously road, are fenced off so can't affect traffic flow- yet there are usually no workers working there.

They are keeping the same number of lanes open on the main routes, which is what you would expect. I don’t see what they are doing has had a major impact. 

How do you expect them to actually build a scheme like that? It’s impossible to do it with zero impact, in an extremely short timescale, which appears to be what you are expecting.

Large schemes like that in a difficult environment can take a couple of years to deliver and they always look a “mess” while they are in progress, that is just the nature of the work they are doing.

I know this report is ten years old but pollution in Sheffield is responsible for over 500 premature deaths per year. https://www.envirotech-online.com/news/air-monitoring/6/breaking-news/poor-air-quality-in-sheffield-results-in-500-deaths-every-year/12103

I personally do not think that the roads have improved since then and only got worse and more congested. How many more lives have been shortened because of recent road works.

They are keeping the same number of lanes open on the main routes, which is what you would expect. I don’t see what they are doing has had a major impact. 

How do you expect them to actually build a scheme like that? It’s impossible to do it with zero impact, in an extremely short timescale, which appears to be what you are expecting.

Large schemes like that in a difficult environment can take a couple of years to deliver and they always look a “mess” while they are in progress, that is just the nature of the work they are doing.

1 They have not kept the same number of lanes open.  As in my original post they have removed one of the filter lanes in either direction towards Saville street that has caused queuing traffic to impact both ways.

Oh and you obviously don't use that route at busy times or you would have encountered the impact it has had.

2 Yes there will be a timescale and an impact but it has currently come to a halt and it is not a short timescale

3 In the great scheme of things this isn't that big a scheme

Additionally it appears to have been very poorly thought out with the "U" turn for buses at the new traffic signals as they have great difficulty managing the turning circle.

Edited by Lancs_Lad

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Before you start criticising others for putting out badly written info, you perhaps ought to explain your abbreviations. UX?

The link I gave in that post was to a Sheffield City Region (SCR) web page. They fund the project. SCR are not the Council, they are a completely separate organisation.

Again, if you are going to criticise, at least take the trouble to properly understand what you are criticising. 

For what it’s worth, I find the level of published info is rather poor. Being fair to the SCC officers involved in the project, the people who run their website are very restrictive about how much info can be put on there as they don’t want the site to be too big and bloated, which I can understand. Doesn’t excuse the lack of basic information though.

UX means User Experience.  It is the basic factor to consider when uploading any web content. The comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular but just to highlight the obviously incompetent digital team employed by SCC or SCR or whoever is responsible for this debacle. . 

A good, well-structured website with optimised content does not mean the site will be "too big or bloated". In fact, quite the opposite.  So that's a factually incorrect belief employed by SCC to hide their inabilities if your insider information is correct.

Are you therefore saying SCR simply fund the project and that's where their responsibility ends? They have nothing to do with the design, build, communication of the project as far as updates and/or timescales are concerned?

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Please don't take this personally but this is the best joke I've heard all year (admittedly the year has only started so hoping it gets better!)😊

I guess its amey that are running this shambles, Amey need to concentrate or repairing the poor road surfaces they allowed the contractors to lay over the last few years

17 hours ago, Hadron said:

I know this report is ten years old but pollution in Sheffield is responsible for over 500 premature deaths per year. https://www.envirotech-online.com/news/air-monitoring/6/breaking-news/poor-air-quality-in-sheffield-results-in-500-deaths-every-year/12103

I personally do not think that the roads have improved since then and only got worse and more congested. How many more lives have been shortened because of recent road works.

Please don't divert blame for high traffic pollution levels away from motorists. We are to blame with our high reliance on cars, not some roadworks.

Re: Colin Foster

On 08/01/2020 at 09:43, Lancs_Lad said:

Anyone else totally fed up with the lack of progress on these now.  They seem to have gone on for ever and they now seem to have come to a halt.  Add to that the ridiculous decision to cut the filters (both ways) towards Saville St and the stupid u turn traffic light it's total chaos.  The roads themselves are in a right state with very poor lane markings, some new ones but they've left the old ones in place.

New year rant over :)

Yes, I remember first day back last new year and thinking how much longer they'd be at it. Didn't think it would look pretty much the same in a year.

How did that happen? The work didnt start until the end of February 2019!

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3848335,-1.4613543,3a,75y,18.37h,85.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVKjhz6jrFVVAszjHoxKgMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

How about the mess they're making here?

They've turned off the traffic lights with no stop/give way sign. It's a free for all. Can't see the traffic coming from Blonk Street due to the roadworks. Had a few near misses.

4 hours ago, Fedupnoall said:

Re: Colin Foster

On 08/01/2020 at 09:43, Lancs_Lad said:

Anyone else totally fed up with the lack of progress on these now.  They seem to have gone on for ever and they now seem to have come to a halt.  Add to that the ridiculous decision to cut the filters (both ways) towards Saville St and the stupid u turn traffic light it's total chaos.  The roads themselves are in a right state with very poor lane markings, some new ones but they've left the old ones in place.

New year rant over :)

Yes, I remember first day back last new year and thinking how much longer they'd be at it. Didn't think it would look pretty much the same in a year.

How did that happen? The work didnt start until the end of February 2019!

Well I didn't imagine it, definitely started before.