Another Scam To Be Aware Of

I've just taken a call from a gentleman purporting to be from Sky advising me of changes to the insurance on the Sky equipment he thought I had. According to this gentleman the monthly cost I'm paying is £11-99 a month, but there are changes afoot.

They are reducing this price to a mere £90 but it has to be paid in one go. Or there is the second option of £160 for two years. Which option would I like?

When I said I had a third option he seemed surprised at this and asked what it might be. I told him the third option was that he was talking a load of tripe (other offal is available and was used in this case).

He apologised for bothering me and by means of compensation offered to send me a free box which if inserted as he suggested could prove painful, so I suggested he save postage and use his own orifice for the purpose.

I then put the phone down.

1 hour ago, Hopman said:

I've just taken a call from a gentleman purporting to be from Sky advising me of changes to the insurance on the Sky equipment he thought I had. According to this gentleman the monthly cost I'm paying is £11-99 a month, but there are changes afoot.

They are reducing this price to a mere £90 but it has to be paid in one go. Or there is the second option of £160 for two years. Which option would I like?

When I said I had a third option he seemed surprised at this and asked what it might be. I told him the third option was that he was talking a load of tripe (other offal is available and was used in this case).

He apologised for bothering me and by means of compensation offered to send me a free box which if inserted as he suggested could prove painful, so I suggested he save postage and use his own orifice for the purpose.

I then put the phone down.

I’m not with Sky now, but when I was the same thing happened to me. I phoned Sky who told me it was a scam, but where do the scammers,get your Sky account number and telephone number from ?

He didn't know my Sky account number which is hardly surprising as I don't have an account. As for telephone numbers, I think he was using some software to generate random phone numbers.

I keep having someone call me from Amazon and I’m not even with them ! I must be at the front of the telephone directory !

It  is an old scam that seems to have resurfaced , I think the original scammers bought an old mailing list from Sky . Had the Amazon one a few times before Christmas , you can tell  that it is a computer voice .

We are now back to Stephen & Nigel calling with heavy  Indian accents from BT Openreach about my internet fault

I get loads of these type of things.   Been a break over Christmas but kicked off again today with the old chestnut of we're going to terminate your internet connection within 24 hours!   Recorded message these days rather than a live caller .... must be fed up of my telling them to F##k off!

16 hours ago, kaytie said:

I get loads of these type of things.   Been a break over Christmas but kicked off again today with the old chestnut of we're going to terminate your internet connection within 24 hours!   Recorded message these days rather than a live caller .... must be fed up of my telling them to F##k off!

Yes isn't  it frustrating  when you want to give them a mouth full and there's  no one there only a recording machine. 😠

17 hours ago, kaytie said:

I get this scammer all the time. I’ve got call blocker on my phone but they just change the number what they are calling from.

I had one today from HMRC - so they claimed, telling me they owe me £650 so could I give them my credit card details so they can credit it.  Any refunds from HMRC are delivered by the  postman.

Edited by mikeG
spelling

7 hours ago, blackydog said:

I never answer the landline.

I only answer if I reconise  the name on the screen, no name no answer although sometimes hospitals ring you to remind you of an appointment  and it will say number withheld. 

On 07/01/2020 at 23:37, kaytie said:

Automated systems can ring several people at once and don't require wages. 

There were full call centres devoted to these type of scams (probably still are) which shows you how lucrative it is.