Winter Weather 2020

Buses stuck and traffic backed up in Stocksbridge,main problem is black ice

16’5 that’s high who operates that

And has anyone seen any gritters yet? Certainly no sign of them at Stannington this morning and the Star seem to have posted that the they haven't bothered gritting!

Council seem to be inept at anything to do with transport in this city unless it involves putting in useless cycle paths in places they're not required just to meet targets! (eg the one outside Costco)

Edited by Lancs_Lad

Just thinking :huh:.

Horrible weather in February, and to make matters worse its a leap year, so we get an extra day of misery..

Why don't the powers that be stick that extra day at the end of June,  (June the 31st) then we all get an extra day of warm sunny weather.

7 minutes ago, Padders said:

Just thinking :huh:.

Horrible weather in February, and to make matters worse its a leap year, so we get an extra day of misery..

Why don't the powers that be stick that extra day at the end of June,  (June the 31st) then we all get an extra day of warm sunny weather.

I can kind of see your thinking there - but I don't think the logic is very clear. If you were going to get lousy weather on 29/02 and we didn't have it, you would just get the same on 01/03 - wherever you put the 'extra day' doesn't really matter, the weather will be what it will be.

I can’t say that this is anything to do with the weather but from Spotswood Mount to Spotswood Road, Leighton Road is closed, signs and cones are in place but some idiot has already moved some of the cones to get through. I feel for the people who have to use the 11A bus, it’s bad enough when the road is ok but with this bit of Leighton closed just how are people going to get up Leighton Road and before anyone asks, the 11A is the only bus that uses Leighton Road.

5 hours ago, Lancs_Lad said:

And has anyone seen any gritters yet? Certainly no sign of them at Stannington this morning and the Star seem to have posted that the they haven't bothered gritting!

Council seem to be inept at anything to do with transport in this city unless it involves putting in useless cycle paths in places they're not required just to meet targets! (eg the one outside Costco)

They haven't been seen at Lodge Moor either except very early this morning. 

They did tweet that only the high altitude routes would be gritted so far.

When do gritters Grit.!?

Iv'e only ever seen the gritters out in S6 late evening.

Very rare to see a gritter here before 9PM and even more rare very early in the morning.!

And now Storm Dennis is on its way for the weekend.  Supposedly not as bad as Ciara though? 

14 hours ago, iLackBrainCells said:

They haven't been seen at Lodge Moor either except very early this morning. W

They did tweet that only the high altitude routes would be gritted so far.

Well I would say Stannington and Lodge Moor are amongst the highest areas of Sheffield.  Stannington is 650 feet above sea level.

Edited by Lancs_Lad

15 hours ago, FinBak said:

When do gritters Grit.!?

Iv'e only ever seen the gritters out in S6 late evening.

Very rare to see a gritter here before 9PM and even more rare very early in the morning.!

I saw them gritting Leighton Road on Monday at 09:15 and last night , Tuesday, at 21:05.

I'm an old fashioned git..

But what's this all about, having names for storms, Dennis is coming on Saturday.. Its seasonal weather that's all..

That will be next in July, Henry heatwave, Harry heatwave, Hilda heatwave :huh:.