Winter Weather 2020

2 hours ago, Padders said:

I'm an old fashioned git..

But what's this all about, having names for storms, Dennis is coming on Saturday.. Its seasonal weather that's all..

That will be next in July, Henry heatwave, Harry heatwave, Hilda heatwave :huh:.

My sentiments too, is it the Americans who started it? if it was It’s another step to the Americanisation of Great Britain.

56 minutes ago, lazarus said:

My sentiments too, is it the Americans who started it? if it was It’s another step to the Americanisation of Great Britain.

Storm naming is a joint effort between the Irish, UK and Dutch met offices to ensure the three countries can easily reference a storm front and has been in place since 2015.

5 hours ago, Lancs_Lad said:

Well I would say Stannington and Lodge Moor are amongst the highest areas of Sheffield.  Stannington is 650 feet above sea level.

Yep, I know. We have to rely on a local farmer when things get really bad.

4 hours ago, Padders said:

I'm an old fashioned git..

But what's this all about, having names for storms, Dennis is coming on Saturday.. Its seasonal weather that's all..

That will be next in July, Henry heatwave, Harry heatwave, Hilda heatwave :huh:.

The idea behind naming approaching storms is to highlight the fact that these ones have the potential to threaten life & limb, damage property & cause flooding & therefore deferentiate these weather fronts from the more normal ones we get in the UK, 99% of the time. 

Adding a name, raises the profile & makes people aware.  Just watching the BBC weather & Storm Dennis' wind gusts are predicted to be 70mph with substantial rainfall. 

Edited by Baron99

So they cant just say a storm in imminent?

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

Storm naming is a joint effort between the Irish, UK and Dutch met offices to ensure the three countries can easily reference a storm front and has been in place since 2015.

They could have given them a unique number without the, imo, silly personalisation.

who picks the storm names,i bet somefolk would pay huge amounts to name a storm and that cash could go to the people who study them,possability?

30 minutes ago, bassett one said:

who picks the storm names,i bet somefolk would pay huge amounts to name a storm and that cash could go to the people who study them,possability?

The UK & Rep of Ireland Met Offices take it in turns. 

The names that will be given to storms in 2019-20 have been released by the Met Office and Met Éireann.

Names were first introduced by the Met Office in 2015 for storms that hit the UK and the Republic of Ireland as a way of raising awareness of really bad weather.

The names announced for the coming year are:

Atiyah, Brendan, Ciara, Dennis

Ellen, Francis, Gerda, Hugh

Iris, Jan, Kitty, Liam

Maura, Noah, Olivia, Piet

Róisín, Samir, Tara, Vince, Willow. 

Technically you could have  named storm hit the RoI but by the time it reaches the UK, it could have blown itself out. 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

Given the variety of names there I'm surprised they couldn't think something up for Q, U, X, Y and Z.

1 hour ago, barleycorn said:

Given the variety of names there I'm surprised they couldn't think something up for Q, U, X, Y and Z.

The less common letters Q, U, X, Y and Z are never used, in keeping with the US hurricane warning system.

Info found on Wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_storm_naming_in_the_United_Kingdom_and_Ireland#Designation

If it’s UK, RoI and NL together don’t the Dutch get a turn? Let’s have Jan, Johan, Kees, Wim, Dirk etc.

Have we ever had a Storm Gail?