Hillsborough Kinema Proctor Place.

I was a regular visitor to the Kinema as a lad ,it was the nearest flicks to where I lived at Owlerton!.As I grew older 

I  moved further affield ,Studio 7 in,t Twicker,The Don West Bar,The Unity Upperthorpe,The Roscoe Shalesmoor,Phoenix Barrack Hill,The Kinema Proctor Place and lastly Hillsborough Park Cinema!.Apart from the Hillsborough Boys Club there wasn,t much to do as a youngster,in my courting days unless the girl was an absolute stunner it was the norm to meet them inside so as I didn,t have to pay for their admittance ,I was a real romantic!.What I remember as a lad was the "tanner rush" Saturday morning at the Roscoe,it was like a madhouse they had bouncers for when the youngsters got too rowdy!.I can remember kids setting off fireworks in the toilets ,Catherine wheels and bangers,I had my first crush on a film star at the Kinema it was Vera Allen in "White Christmas",my second Brigette Bardot,I thought I had never seen a woman as beautiful as her!.Memories of a scruffy little kid I never forgot!.

2 minutes ago, old tup said:

I  moved further affield , Studio 7 in,t Twicker, The Don West Bar, The Unity Upperthorpe, The Roscoe Shalesmoor, Phoenix Barrack Hill, The Kinema Proctor Place and lastly Hillsborough Park Cinema!

I think the Unity was Kelvin area (remember the plywood seats?), the Oxford cinema being at Upperthorpe- didn't you go there? That was the one where we saw the Saturday matinees.

Yes, the Unity was in the Kelvin area, on Langsett Road near the top of Wood Street. The entrance was at the front and the exit was at the right-hand side in Gertrude Street. Here is a link to a photo on the "picturesheffield" site: http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s02703&pos=1&action=zoom&id=6338   The Oxford was at Upperthorpe on the corner of Addy Street and Shipton Street.

On 12/01/2020 at 12:33, blackhill said:

Once took my then girlfriend (now wife of 53 years) to the Kinema. When I got up to leave at the end I tore my trousers on a spring that had

come through the seat. Never went again. 

Ha ha sorry I've  got to laugh because I remember it well and this was not just the Kinema but lots of the cinemas, it was quite  normal. 

2 hours ago, hillsbro said:

Yes, the Unity was in the Kelvin area, on Langsett Road near the top of Wood Street. The entrance was at the front and the exit was at the right-hand side in Gertrude Street. Here is a link to a photo on the "picturesheffield" site: http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s02703&pos=1&action=zoom&id=6338   The Oxford was at Upperthorpe on the corner of Addy Street and Shipton Street.

The Oxford was classed as the posher one where you took your girlfriends but the Roscoe you went with your mates.

14 hours ago, carosio said:

I think the Unity was Kelvin area (remember the plywood seats?), the Oxford cinema being at Upperthorpe- didn't you go there? That was the one where we saw the Saturday matinees.

You are right carosio the old grey matter failing again,I should remember the Unity because across the road from it was Howard Kenyons car business and I courted his daughter Janet for three years!.I was there more than at home at that time,the old memory is not what it was,I did go to the Oxford quite a lot up until my teens when I discovered pubs and my social life went in another direction!.

After the Unity closed, a firm started selling I think some kind of machinery, they fitted glass panels in the front so you could see them when passing by.

Leather and Simpsons was on the opposite side.

Edited by carosio

I seem to remember they had love seats!! - I saw Elvis in Blue Hawaii - my friend had her first cig and was sick - she never went on to have her second.

2 hours ago, smary said:

I seem to remember they had love seats!! - I saw Elvis in Blue Hawaii - my friend had her first cig and was sick - she never went on to have her second.

Oh yes I remember it well, 😱 experimental  days.

They now experiment  with more dangerous things.

14 hours ago, carosio said:

After the Unity closed, a firm started selling I think some kind of machinery, they fitted glass panels in the front so you could see them when passing by.

Leather and Simpsons was on the opposite side.

We used to see the boss of the firm that took over the Unity most nights being carried to his car by his staff drunk as a skunk to be driven home!.He was an overweight middle aged guy,he must have been under the influence with the racket he made and not ill in any other way!.A shame really he was well dressed and seemed to have everything materialistic,makes you wonder why someone like that got himself in such a state!.

I remember being stood-up at the Kinema; Julie Jenkinson, you broke my little heart.  I remember seeing Jason and the Argonauts, The Ten Commandments and Zulu there.  The Park Cinema was for the Saturday matinees with Captain Marvel, Zorro, Tarzan, Lone Ranger, etc.  I think mum took me to town to see Lady and the Tramp and Goldfinger.  Memories!

On 12/01/2020 at 11:12, bazza63 said:

I think it was Atkinsons Pie shop

I think it was Ralistons pie shop.

Dont buy cheap trousers.