Hillsborough Kinema Proctor Place.

Anyone remember Hillsborough Kinema ? Spent many happy hours in the stalls !I met my Husband there. Happy days, wish I could re live those great times. Youth is wasted on the young, shame we don't have more insight.

Sure do, and the Pheonix and the Hillsbro Park Cinema, now Asda. Believe that the balcony there still exists.

I worked at Barclays Bank in Hillsborough 1960-1962 and I can't remember if the cinema was there then or not. I walked past the end of Proctor Place hundreds of times.

The Kinema opened in 1912 and closed in 1966. Here is a link to a thread on the "sheffieldhistory.co.uk" site: https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/661-hillsborough-kinema/   The photo that J.R. Wrigley refers to can be seen on the "picturesheffield" site - here is a link: http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s02701&pos=3&action=zoom&id=6336

On 06/01/2020 at 18:12, carosio said:

Sure do, and the Pheonix and the Hillsbro Park Cinema, now Asda. Believe that the balcony there still exists.

Here's what was on at the Hillsboro Kinema, Park Cinema and Phoenix, as in "The Star" of 5 April 1958. https://i.postimg.cc/026B7g4P/kinema.jpg

I can remember going to the afternoon viewing to see Journey to the centre of the earth, with James Mason and Pat Boon. I used to go regularly on Saturday afternoons, if the film was a U certificate. Sometimes my Mum would treat me to a ticket in the circle, upstairs. My Mum was at work Saturday afternoons. Sometimes, I was the only person in the cinema !

I remember them both with fond memories. Also the smell.

Happy days in the Billiard Hall next to the Park Cinema and Burt Beaches cycle shop.

I well remember all the picture houses in Hillsborough,,Kinema was favorite they had double seats for couples these had to be booked in advance,after used to go to Styrans drink shop on M/wood  Rd,great times.

I went to the Pheonix every staurday night second house.

My favourite was going to the park cinema and getting a pie from the little shop on Middlewood road. Had to eat it before the tram came or you wouldnt be allowed on

Once took my then girlfriend (now wife of 53 years) to the Kinema. When I got up to leave at the end I tore my trousers on a spring that had

come through the seat. Never went again.