Sky Lit Up Orange North Of Sheffield

Guest makapaka

Anyone seen it? The sky is all glowing orange towards north Sheffield??

what is it?

I noticed this around midnight on Boxing Day when coming around the ring road from Fir Vale  towards Hillsborough .As I came down  Herries Road.the orange colour was quite intense .The stadium lights were on and I assumed it was because of that.

I was told it is the lights from Sheffield Wednesday ground  Apparently they leave them on to heat the pitch 

3 hours ago, Mandem said:

I was told it is the lights from Sheffield Wednesday ground  Apparently they leave them on to heat the pitch 

Nice and environmentally friendly of them.

I saw it too, very unusual. (though it was to the south of me from my perspective)

I can't normally see the stadium sun lamps. Also this pretty much lit the whole sky up over that direction.

However, it was a bit foggy, so perhaps that displaces the light? Someone with a bit more weather/science knowledge might know if it's possible.

4 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Nice and environmentally friendly of them.

Lots of sports stadiums use them. United have them too, hence why at night the ground looks like someone left all the lights on.

They use them to encourage grass growth in areas that don't get any sun at this time of year.

You can see them in the daytime, they store them in the car park on Penistone rd, looks like scaffolding on wheels.

Edited by *_ash_*
added info about north/south

7 hours ago, Mandem said:

Why, it's not cold. We've not had a frost for about 3 weeks.

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Why, it's not cold. We've not had a frost for about 3 weeks.

I think they are predominantly lights that are 'artificial suns', and heat as well as side product of the lights, which is also what helps grass growth.

I often notice it, over approx the last year or so.... I also have pictures and such... there seems to be nothing 'regular' about it..

I have seen it on clearer nights, and not seen it on cloudy nights..
I have seen it on cloudy nights, and not seen it on clearer nights..

Have seen it during mist/fog/haze and not been able to pinpoint a ground-source for it during these times either...

I have also seen it in the evening, and early in the morning, I have seen it at 11pm one night, and then it's not there a few hours later at 2am the same night!

Edited by Ghozer

The UV lights are used on the new ‘Desso’ pitches that both the Blades and the Owls has installed a couple of seasons ago.

I think the blades ended up spending circa £1.4m on the new pitch!

As someone stated earlier the lights encourage growth throughout winter, hence the reason the pitches look like they do all year round now.

They are wheeled onto the pitch so the lights are near the surface.

P.S they are not used for heat as there is an under-pitch heating system for that.

4 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I saw it too, very unusual. (though it was to the south of me from my perspective)

I can't normally see the stadium sun lamps. Also this pretty much lit the whole sky up over that direction.

However, it was a bit foggy, so perhaps that displaces the light? Someone with a bit more weather/science knowledge might know if it's possible.

Lots of sports stadiums use them. United have them too, hence why at night the ground looks like someone left all the lights on.

They use them to encourage grass growth in areas that don't get any sun at this time of year.

You can see them in the daytime, they store them in the car park on Penistone rd, looks like scaffolding on wheels.

...and that makes it right does it? Light pollution causing problems with nocturnal nightlife and extra energy wasted? They could have something much closer to the ground level and covered to retain heat and prevent light pollution. Grow lights usually cast a pink light, I know because we have them on our ornamental seedlings which need a long growing season. 

21 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Edited by mickey finn