Blades V Fc Fylde - Fa Cup

What's not to love about a cheeky little "David vs goliath" in the oldest and most prestigious competition in the world?

Wilder has already stated that he's making 11 changes and in this instance, I am completely behind him doing so. It's been a busy old xmas period and legs need resting....and well, we should have more than enough in the ranks to see off non-league opposition. There should be no need what so ever to risk first team regulars, or add to their workload.

Ideally, I would love to see some emerging talent from the academy included in the squad. This is what the FA Cup is all about! It is a great platform to get players out and included, to reward performance with first team football!

This game will also allow us to assess fringe players and I expect that a few players will be making their final bow at BDTBL. Equally, it could be one final chance for players to show their worth to the gaffer.

We SHOULD be in the hat for the fourth round and I expect no less. This competition is all about giant killing, but there should be none of that here. 

Looking forward to it.

Rodwell in at centre back, Ravel and old uncle Leon get a run out too!

Posted (edited)

Good first quarter really. We are completely in control as you would expect and I thorough expect more goals. 

The stand outs are those who have been featuring in the first team this season, such as Freeman, Besic and Ronbinson. I was hoping to see more from Morrison, but I think he is securing his way out of the door at this rate. Rodwell is steady enough and the right hand side of the back three. 

A tidy finish from Robinson as well. The ball came in from the left, he controlled it one touch and turned his man to put it in the near post corner, from around 6 yards out. 

Osborn and Freeman also deserve mentions as well, both are involved. 

Edited by cmonkes

Posted (edited)

Jack Rodwell felt something tighten up and has gone off, didn't look overly serious and probably more precautionary. 

Chris Basham On ->

And Ravel Morrison goal just disallowed. Cross in from the right, was met by Leon on the back post. He nodded it back across face and Morrison scored with a diving header from 6 yards out. Think Leon was off. Oh and as I type this, Luke Freeman hits the post, it comes back out and Leon taps in from 8 yards ish. 2-0

Edited by cmonkes

Goal to Fylde.

A beautifully weighted through ball splits the defence. The Fylde player runs through and lobs Henderson from about 8 yards out, fantastic ball and goal. To be honest, you have to take your hate off to Fylde, they have played with confidence in this second half. We have commanded all of the play and have been the better team, but they are confident in going at us on the counter. 

Posted (edited)

What have I learnt from this one?

Leeds can jog on in their attempts to sign Luke Freeman. He has been by far the man of the match in this game, despite us playing non-league opposition. It was his assist for the first and he could have easily had a couple more of those. He's been the engine in everything positive going forwards, he's been on the left and right side of the box and has found himself in the box plenty. He has also had plenty of confidence in shooting from distance and could well have rifled a couple in, had in not been for brave blocks. 

Leon Clarke is now surplus to requirements at the club. Whilst he did score the second, it was handed to him pretty much on a plate. He lacks the pace and work rate required in the top flight, he simply won't track back. I don't know if it was an element of being disinterested or what? Whether a deal is already being tied up for his services? One thing for sure, if a deal hasn't been done already, he's just wasted an opportunity to well and truly put himself in the window. He will still do a job in the Championship and clubs should be looking at him. 

Ravel Morrison is so frustrating. He shows glimpses of a fantastic player! His link up play, control, first touch and smart triangles of play are there to be seen. But he appeared so disinterested at times today! He had a fantastic opportunity to go out there and run the show, he has the ability and should have been doing so. But he has been well and truly outclassed by a man of the match freeman! Do I see Morrison breaking into the first team ahead of Freeman? No I don't! Quite the waste of a salary at the minute! If Pardew wants him in Holland? He can go for me. 

Ben Osborn is a decent player, but i'm not sure playing so deep suits him. The desire of the player to get forwards was there to see and when he did so, he did find himself in very positive attacking positions. But, he found himself caught out at the back a couple of times, probably due to his desire in going forwards. I am in split minds about the lad at the minute? He could well play a roll as an impact player off the bench, but will he get much of a sniff at the minute. I wouldn't want to move him on, but I do wonder whether a few months out of the club, play regular football elsewhere, may be of use to him. There was plenty enough there to be positive about, he could well have found himself sent off though with his lack of timing. 

Besic is a little bulldog. Some fans in the boozer did question whether we should terminate the loan deal? I think there is more than enough there to keep him at the club personally. He does work his socks off and we will hound the opposition down and chase for possession. He has enough to force himself for a shirt and will be a great impact player off the bench. 

Kieran Freeman is sufficient back up at wing back. I do wonder however whether Wilder is looking for suitable replacements? If so, then Freeman can go. If not, then he can play a part as a cover player, but he won't force anyone else out of a shirt based on that. One of the most annoying things about freeman (sorry if I sound a bit Keith Edwards), is his inability to beat the first man when crossing. He finds himself in such encouraging positions going forward, but then the lack of quality in crossing lets him down. 

It is a bit early to give Rodwell an accurate appraisal. He did play his part today and he did win most in the air, including dropping across to cover as and when required. He was composed alongside Jags and he didn't look out of place. We need better opponents in order to assess his ability further. Definitely wasn't disgraced on his debut, he just needs pitch time and to fit in a bit more. 

All things said and done, we are in the hat for the next round. We dominated play and were good value for the win. I do however take my hat of to Fylde, as they did try and play with a bit of confidence second half. They tried to play on the counter attack and it was a very shrewd pass and well taken goal. 

Edited by cmonkes

11 hours ago, cmonkes said:

What's not to love about a cheeky little "David vs goliath" in the oldest and most prestigious competition in the world?

Wilder has already stated that he's making 11 changes and in this instance, I am completely behind him doing so. It's been a busy old xmas period and legs need resting....and well, we should have more than enough in the ranks to see off non-league opposition. There should be no need what so ever to risk first team regulars, or add to their workload.

Ideally, I would love to see some emerging talent from the academy included in the squad. This is what the FA Cup is all about! It is a great platform to get players out and included, to reward performance with first team football!

This game will also allow us to assess fringe players and I expect that a few players will be making their final bow at BDTBL. Equally, it could be one final chance for players to show their worth to the gaffer.

We SHOULD be in the hat for the fourth round and I expect no less. This competition is all about giant killing, but there should be none of that here. 

Looking forward to it.

There possibly wasn't much love for these sort of ties after the Barnet debacle last season.

Match was ok I suppose although sitting in the South Stand was a miserable experience for someone used to standing at the back of the kop.

Rodwell was sound enough. Disappointed with Osborne although he and Luke Freeman combined well.

Love Leon but he’s occupying a squad place that could be better used

Totally dominated 1st half, then after going 2 up reverted back to the old days of switching off and paid for it. I felt Hendo pulled out of the challenge for their goal, probably for fear of getting injured and being down to zero keepers!

Personally thought K Freeman looked disinterested but others thought he had a good game so....

Hendo definitely pulled out of the challenge leading to a goal. Thank God, I presume CW  had a word in his ear not to risk himself under the circumstances.

19 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Hendo definitely pulled out of the challenge leading to a goal. Thank God, I presume CW  had a word in his ear not to risk himself under the circumstances.

Why not just accept the simplest explanation? He neshed it.