Sign in to follow this  

Android Always On Display Setting

Recently got a Xiaomi phone and it has the Android option of an 'always on display' (the feature needs an oled display so just the pixels on a small notification area can be lit).
Has anyone else got a phone with this? The Xiaomi switches off the 'always on' display after say 20-30 minutes to save power, which seems to make it a bit pointless.

The AOD is also supposed to display notification icons for missed calls and texts, which it does if you reset the phone but then they stop after a few hours and you just get the clock.
I know Xiaomi have had issues with notifications in the past but it seems surprising.

I've got a OnePlus 6T with something similar on it.

It basically partially wakes the screen when you move the phone to show if you've any notifications.

The other half has a Moto G6 and that has the same feature.

After searching it seems Xiaomi offer good value hardware but the downside is a bloated version of Android.

Still you would expect something as essential as notifications would work properly (it is a known issue on their forums). Live and learn

Unsure if it's just the phone settings, my Samsung can either have it on constantly, for a short period of time or you can wake it up by tapping the screen - or not have it at all of course. 

Maybe it auto shuts off to avoid screen burn which I heard was a concern when they rolled out this feature, the Samsung shifts the display slightly to avoid using the same area of the screen for too long. They try to do it subtle but you can clearly see it's all off centre., in all fairness doesn't bother me too much. 

Ended up selling it I'm afraid. The Xiaomi global firmware has a lot of features but in hindsight I  should have gone with one of their their Android One's

The emphasis these days with many Chinese brands seems to be on battery economy.  Huawei made the notification LED  a setting in the Battery section and Alcatel have taken off the LED repeat entirely, just two flashes.

The OLED screen also made the phone unusually heavy (and as you say are more prone than other types to burn in).

And as there was also no notch on the screen for the front camera, the earpiece was reduced to just a slit at the top. Stylish but it meant it was necessary to hold it in exactly the right position against your ear.

Edited by ChrisIB