Bus Fares Up Again,Why?

30 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Yes, the PHV numbers are much higher, don't know about Hackneys, but I'm sure @*_ash_* could probably enlighten us, if he's still around.

I think,  but can't be bothered to check now, there are roughly 460 PSVs in the FSY/Stagecoach Yorkshire fleets, but this covers Sheffield/Rotherham/Doncaster for FSY, and the same area for Stagecoach, plus,  I think, Chesterfield.

Stagecoach Yorkshire depots are Barnsley, Rotherham - Rawmarsh, Sheffield - Ecclesfield, Sheffield - Holbrook and Chesterfield Stonegravels.

Thanks ,  OK, I missed Barnsley, but I only made a quick post.😀

41 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Yes, the PHV numbers are much higher, don't know about Hackneys, but I'm sure @*_ash_* could probably enlighten us, if he's still around.

I think,  but can't be bothered to check now, there are roughly 460 PSVs in the FSY/Stagecoach Yorkshire fleets, but this covers Sheffield/Rotherham/Doncaster for FSY, and the same area for Stagecoach, plus,  I think, Chesterfield.

There are 867 hackney plates, and over 100 are now available. Mainly due to drivers retiring the cabs (15 years in Sheffield) - and not renewing because the new choice is too expensive.

Just now, *_ash_* said:

There are 867 hackney plates, and over 100 are now available. Mainly due to drivers retiring the cabs (15 years in Sheffield) - and not renewing because the new choice is too expensive.

Thanks, Ash.

1 minute ago, *_ash_* said:

There are 867 hackney plates, and over 100 are now available. Mainly due to drivers retiring the cabs (15 years in Sheffield)and not renewing because the new choice is too expensive.

Are you sure that it's not because Calderdale/East Derbyshire/Wolverhampton have cheaper prices and lax rules compared to Sheffield? 

There's been a massive increase in out of town plates being used by Sheffield drivers. 

1 minute ago, Resident said:

Are you sure that it's not because Calderdale/East Derbyshire/Wolverhampton have cheaper prices and lax rules compared to Sheffield? 

There's been a massive increase in out of town plates being used by Sheffield drivers. 

Those are PHV's, not hackneys.

8 minutes ago, Resident said:

A recent freedom of information said that 220 Calderdale licenses are held by people with Sheffield addresses.

A lot of hackneys perhaps have moved onto PHV because the price tag for the new LEVC is more than twice that of the current models, so almost certainly a factor.

Unless you can get a station permit, I see no point at all buying a LEVC.

I think from the point of view of the post that started the bus versus taxi discussion, it in reality is probably irrelevant whether there are physically more vehicles or not, passenger perception is generally based on how long they've had to wait for a ride be that by bus, tram, train or taxi.

Edited by Andy C

Just now again on a line that is supposed to be every twelve minutes.

App says next bus in 21 minutes.

31 minutes later it gets there and goes slower than ever because at all stops there are too many people who have waited too long taking forever to get on this overload bus.

Any more people worried about buses not making profit who want to comment on this?

2 hours ago, dutch said:

31 minutes later it gets there and goes slower than ever because at all stops there are too many people who have waited too long taking forever to get on this overload bus.

Any more people worried about buses not making profit who want to comment on this?

I wouldn't say people are worried about bus companies not making a profit more that they see it is a rationale for those self same companies not giving a rat's arse about their customers.

On 25/02/2020 at 09:26, dutch said:

The theme of this thread is about the price of bus tickets. The comments I believe are more along the lines of:

- the ticket prices are too cheap to make much in the way of profit

- if you want a really good service then you have to be willing to pay the price tag for such a service.

Of course it also doesn't help that there are significant numbers travelling for free on concessionary passes on a scheme that is underfunded.

The problems First have had with broken down buses have been well documented, as have the problems with Sheffield's growing traffic congestion problem affecting all operators. As things get miserable for both those reasons and more, you will probably find the drivers are less inclined to do overtime or come in on their day off, meaning you also start getting cancellations due to driver shortages.

I don't think anyone is denying that the service on some routes is, to put it politely, "below par".

Edited by Andy C

48 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Of course it also doesn't help that there are significant numbers travelling for free on concessionary passes on a scheme that is underfunded.

Not sure why this would affect bus operators' profits given that they are reimbursed for any concessionary journeys made.