Bus Fares Up Again,Why?

Hat's off to Luxembourg. Free travel (ish).

Surley a sencible way of getting people off the road out of their cars and back using what would be a proper public service.

I for one would use trains or buss's more even if i was using the car to get to a railway station or free bus style carpark first.

5 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Surley a sencible way of getting people off the road out of their cars and back using what would be a proper public service.

I for one would use trains or buss's more even if i was using the car to get to a railway station or free bus style carpark first.

Luxembourg is very small and has highest car ownership to citicens in EU.

They are trying hard to get people to use more public transport but even when free most people continue driving there.

The trains are still national there tax funded.

It is the other extreme of what we have here where private companies drive up the price using false lies and excuses.

8 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Not all that effective though. (especially when you consider it will cost them £35m a year in lost revenue) 

They are expecting mode share of car drivers on commuting trips  to fall by 8% over the next five years, down to 65% from 73%.

That kind of reduction in the peak hours wouldn't make a huge difference to traffic congestion. (school run traffic is probably a quarter or more of the cars during peak hours and we do notice that when the schools are off)

The experience in Tallin, Estonia, where they have also made public transport free is somewhat similar. It appears they found that even though public transport usage went up 8%, car trips increased too. See this report

I'd say that if you want cars off the road, the only way to do it effectively is by price ie a congestion charge and/or significant increases in parking charges. 

11 hours ago, Zarniwoop said:

Don't forget that the 52 and 120 are run by both First and Stagecoach. The main problems seem to be services run by First only.

That's true but I seem to see plenty of First buses on both these routes aswell as Stagecoach.

Guest busdriver1
6 hours ago, dutch said:

It is the other extreme of what we have here where private companies drive up the price using false lies and excuses.

So the fact that in real terms, bus travel is cheaper now than 20 years ago has passed you by then? 

Edited by busdriver1

12 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

So the fact that in real terms, bus travel is cheaper now than 20 years ago has passed you by then? 

I live in the present moment, not the past.

As I mentioned sweet lies are used.  All political, social systems function through saying that the past was worse. Then they put the carrot stick of a better future in front of the less intelligent miserable majority who immediately go that direction.

This is an ongoing process and unless you look at things, right here, right now, this moment you will not see or understand that buses are getting worse in a certain way today.

I must admit that few improvements have been made using modern technology spacing buses better but I get the impression this same technology is also used to get them too full and overloaded at the wrong times even on weekends.

Buses in England are also used to separate the social classes and the buses serving higher classed areas will be newer and run better than the lower class areas despite the fact that fewer people will use buses  from higher class areas.

10 hours ago, dutch said:

Buses in England are also used to separate the social classes and the buses serving higher classed areas will be newer and run better than the lower class areas despite the fact that fewer people will use buses  from higher class areas.

I'll write a coherant response to this when I finish laughing at it's complete absurdity. 

Current estimation of when that'll be is around the middle of 2050 (year not time)

4 hours ago, Resident said:

I'll write a coherant response to this when I finish laughing at it's complete absurdity. 

Current estimation of when that'll be is around the middle of 2050 (year not time)

Well said, @Resident. I was going to try and reply earlier, but couldn't find the words.😀