Bus Fares Up Again,Why?

6 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

I doubt that he used a dangerous road. There are ways of making yourself look like you are somewhere. I will say no more other than I doubt he was there in the first place.

The traffic  commissioners are very involved in South Yorkshire at the moment.  It is they who have insisted on the recent service revisions to get things to a level that can be operated. They are monitoring the situation actively.

Well, all I can say is that he definitely showed as '4 minutes' when I checked, and then disappeared off the radar - literally -whilst I was looking - as I said previously, this was  confirmed to me by the advisor in Leeds, and then appeared much further down the route, apparently then completing the journey to Arundel Gate.

Please believe me when I say the only way he could have done this is by taking an unsafe route - I know the roads in this area like the back of my hand,  and to take a10 metre bus off Baslow Road and reappear at Sherwood Glen involve some really narrow, twisty roads. There is a service (M17) which uses some of the (assumed) route, but that is operated by Hulleys - using Optare Solos - and even they have problems on some sections.

18 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Taxis are completely different. For one they do not have to follow a set route, a very silly comparison but to be fair expected

There are more buses than taxis on the road.

Bus passengers are treated like lower class less worthy money sources for big companies when it comes to things like good service.

3 minutes ago, dutch said:

Bus passengers are treated like lower class less worthy money sources for big companies when it comes to things like good service.

I think you got that the wrong way round @dutch - there are more taxis than buses and as @busdriver1 points out, bus routes are fixed (unless circumstances dictate a change).

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

I think you got that the wrong way round @dutch - there are more taxis than buses and as @busdriver1 points out, bus routes are fixed (unless circumstances dictate a change).

He is right, facts proving otherwise are irrelevant to him.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Well, all I can say is that he definitely showed as '4 minutes' when I checked, and then disappeared off the radar - literally -whilst I was looking - as I said previously, this was  confirmed to me by the advisor in Leeds, and then appeared much further down the route, apparently then completing the journey to Arundel Gate.

Please believe me when I say the only way he could have done this is by taking an unsafe route - I know the roads in this area like the back of my hand,  and to take a10 metre bus off Baslow Road and reappear at Sherwood Glen involve some really narrow, twisty roads. There is a service (M17) which uses some of the (assumed) route, but that is operated by Hulleys - using Optare Solos - and even they have problems on some sections.

I do not doubt what you are saying, i am suggesting that when he showed 4 minutes late he MAY not have actually been there. When the driver enters a new journey on the machine, it defaults to the terminal point as a location until it moves.  So he may have actually been turning at the time somewhere off route then got picked up when he joined the route again. From my experience that is the most likely scenario and would explain the bus magically moving past you without being seen. 

2 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

He is right, facts proving otherwise are irrelevant to him.

I know that, the problem on this forum is that the accepted information comes from those with little or no knowledge, and when the errors are pointed out, you get ignored. One reason why I stick to subjects on here where I can easily find data to back up my claims.

2 hours ago, dutch said:

Oh, why was I in city center at a taxi stand with zero taxis to run to a get bus to get to an important meeting two weeks ago?

Edited by dutch

1 minute ago, dutch said:

Oh, why was I in city center at a taxi stand with zero taxis to run to a get bus to get to an important meeting last week?

Probably because all the taxis off that stand were in use - they are not just sat there waiting for you, you know. Anyway, do you not have a mobile phone to call one of the Sheffield taxi operators?

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Probably because all the taxis off that stand were in use - they are not just sat there waiting for you, you know. Anyway, do you not have a mobile phone to call one of the Sheffield taxi operators?

To be honest it was Monday morning 10 AM and digital mobile technology told me the bus was coming.

2 minutes ago, dutch said:

To be honest it was Monday morning 10 AM and digital mobile technology told me the bus was coming.

And did it?

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

And did it?

Yes it did but a taxi would have been better.

Today my mobile told me bus would be there in five minutes.

After twelve minutes waiting for a ghost bus a friend passed and gave me a ride.

You can check exactly how  many taxis are registered/licenced in Sheffield here: https://licensing.sheffield.gov.uk/1/WcaHome

All the "Hackney Carriages" (black cabs) you can get on ranks or by hailing in the street will be registered on there, a good proportion of private hire taxis will also be licenced by Sheffield City Council and listed on there, there are a good number of UBER cars registered with other authorities though.

I believe the numbers of taxis are much higher than they were before licencing reform, when there was a cap on them.

No idea how that compares with buses.

6 minutes ago, Andy C said:

You can check exactly how  many taxis are registered/licenced in Sheffield here: https://licensing.sheffield.gov.uk/1/WcaHome

All the "Hackney Carriages" (black cabs) you can get on ranks or by hailing in the street will be registered on there, a good proportion of private hire taxis will also be licenced by Sheffield City Council and listed on there, there are a good number of UBER cars registered with other authorities though.

I believe the numbers of taxis are much higher than they were before licencing reform, when there was a cap on them.

No idea how that compares with buses.

Yes, the PHV numbers are much higher, don't know about Hackneys, but I'm sure @*_ash_* could probably enlighten us, if he's still around.

I think,  but can't be bothered to check now, there are roughly 460 PSVs in the FSY/Stagecoach Yorkshire fleets, but this covers Sheffield/Rotherham/Doncaster for FSY, and the same area for Stagecoach, plus,  I think, Chesterfield.