Bus Fares Up Again,Why?

4 hours ago, Andy C said:

it is worth noting too that First haven't actually put their fares up yet though!

Pricing in January was National Rail, Travelmaster, Stagecoach bus, Stagecoach Supertram, Hulleys and to a limited extent TM Travel.

Price "review" for First has been deferred till April as part of the 'apology' from FSY's MD

On 17/02/2020 at 10:54, MatLibrary said:

Because the No. 1 aim for the private bus companies is to make a profit. 

Libraries and buses should both be run in house by the council. 

My point exactly. I am tired of complaining about my route - the 98. Again there were two consecutive buses missing tonight when I came home from work. 

Also, I had an experience with the 81 bus from Dore yesterday. I was waiting for a bus in Dore village with a friend to go back to town and the bus that turned up went back to the garage because the driver said his window was leaking. We were then waiting a full hour for the next bus in the cold and rain. Beyond a joke.

It does get boring complaining but ...people need to get to work. I don't sit in the bus interchange at 6.50am for fun or my sodding health...so when the bus is parked there but no driver turns up...and when the next bus turns up but can't get in because the earlier bus is still there..wtf?

It's not just once in a while....it's honestly 4/10 times. But, hey, put the prices up again every year.

21 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

My point exactly. I am tired of complaining about my route - the 98. Again there were two consecutive buses missing tonight when I came home from work. 

Also, I had an experience with the 81 bus from Dore yesterday. I was waiting for a bus in Dore village with a friend to go back to town and the bus that turned up went back to the garage because the driver said his window was leaking. We were then waiting a full hour for the next bus in the cold and rain. Beyond a joke.

You realise that a Stagecoach bus went up in flames in late 2018 because water entered the cab via a leaking window. 

Water ingress vastly increases the risk of an electrical short leading to fire. 

3 hours ago, Resident said:

You realise that a Stagecoach bus went up in flames in late 2018 because water entered the cab via a leaking window. 

Water ingress vastly increases the risk of an electrical short leading to fire. 

I am not disputing that. I am saying why did it take an hour for the next bus to turn up?

11 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

I am not disputing that. I am saying why did it take an hour for the next bus to turn up?

You are right. When one of these once a hour busses falls out of service they should get one from a busy line to come and sit in to fill that gap as soon as possible. A 75 or 76 that is at end of its line near the dore area for example.

When a bus falls out of service where there are five or six a hour that is nowhere near as bad as someone waiting for nothing for a hour.

Personally I would have called a taxi before playing roulette waiting for a bus one hour.

Edited by dutch

7 hours ago, dutch said:

You are right. When one of these once a hour busses falls out of service they should get one from a busy line to come and sit in to fill that gap as soon as possible. A 75 or 76 that is at end of its line near the dore area for example.

When a bus falls out of service where there are five or six a hour that is nowhere near as bad as someone waiting for nothing for a hour.

Personally I would have called a taxi before playing roulette waiting for a bus one hour.

So how is the driver of that 76 meant to know what time he's meant to be on the replaced service? What happens when his duty ends for his break/end of day but the bus is mid-route because of the change. 

It's not as simple as just pulling the bus from another route 

Just to add to @Resident's post above, it would be very difficult to transfer a bus at Lowedges/Jordanthorpe (75/76) to cover say a bus on the 97/98 route from the same side of the city - they would have to run out of service to Woodseats Road bottom then to the 97/98 terminus, which even on a good day is around 15-20 minutes, and I personally wouldn't like to be the driver turning south at that junction.

1 hour ago, Resident said:

So how is the driver of that 76 meant to know what time he's meant to be on the replaced service? What happens when his duty ends for his break/end of day but the bus is mid-route because of the change. 

It's not as simple as just pulling the bus from another route 

They should put more buses on these lacking service routes generally and take from the routes that have a bus every time you blink.

Once again my 98 has failed to turn up and I have just done a full day at work and can't get straight home. It's not acceptable.

2 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

They should put more buses on these lacking service routes generally and take from the routes that have a bus every time you blink.

Once again my 98 has failed to turn up and I have just done a full day at work and can't get straight home. It's not acceptable.

They won't do that @Retro Queen - despite claims to the contrary, some routes are 'protected' and can't lose capacity, even if the demand isn't there. Consequently, due to the current driver/serviceable fleet problems other routes have to suffer.

I haven't forgotten our earlier conversation, btw, just had personal things to do that have been taking priority.

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

They won't do that @Retro Queen - despite claims to the contrary, some routes are 'protected' and can't lose capacity, even if the demand isn't there. Consequently, due to the current driver/serviceable fleet problems other routes have to suffer.

I haven't forgotten our earlier conversation, btw, just had personal things to do that have been taking priority.

But surely something needs to be done. Everyone in the city needs to get around. We don't all have cars.

My next bus has failed to turn up now, this is two in a row. I wouldn't mind if they were every ten minutes but this is half an hour service so two missing means one full hour between buses. I keep putting in complaints to First but nothing gets done.

I am sitting in a cafe again keeping warm while waiting for the bus. This is fine as I like cafes and they are part of my social life but I was going straight home from work tonight and I am delayed due to the bus service. Its getting very stressful. What do we have to do? I appreciate your help and concern but what can I do short of moving to a better bus route and I don't want to do that as I only moved a year ago and I like where I live.