Bus Fares Up Again,Why?

Well said, @redruby, I, like you, have been using buses for many years and found 99.9% of drivers to be brilliant.

I agree re bus drivers. Most I've come across are helpful, and I think the job has become more difficult, not just because of the attitude of some passengers, but also other drivers.  There's a bus stop on Dykes Hall that often has a car parked on it, just one example.  

Last Night just shows how bad our bus operators are there was no Number 1 bus from Ecclesfield to Herdings at 10.00p.m,so loads were stranded in town thinking how do i get home from work,loads of people can"t afford to pay for a taxi to get home from town or even Ecclesfield,and the next bus would turn up outside Sports Direct at another half hour,there is no use ringing up and complaining as we get the same old bull**** from the bus companies with silly excuses

Limited choice of routes, but don't forget we also have trams and trains in Sheffield and they run in the evening:

Last trams from Cathedral on weekdays to:

Middlewood: 23:43

Malin Bridge: 23:34

Meadowhall Interchange: 23:48 

Rotherham Parkgate: 22:44

Herdings Park: 23:42

Halfway: 23:37

www.supertram.com

Last trains from Sheffield Midland on weekdays to:

Dore & Totley/Hope Valley: 23:27

Darnall / Woodhouse: 22:42

Meadowhall/Rotherham Central: 23:27

Chapeltown: 23:18

Dronfield: 22:05

www.nationalrail.co.uk

22 hours ago, 1295galaxy said:

Last Night just shows how bad our bus operators are there was no Number 1 bus from Ecclesfield to Herdings at 10.00p.m,so loads were stranded in town thinking how do i get home from work,loads of people can"t afford to pay for a taxi to get home from town or even Ecclesfield,and the next bus would turn up outside Sports Direct at another half hour,there is no use ringing up and complaining as we get the same old bull**** from the bus companies with silly excuses

mmmmm was u at the stop on time, very strange cuz its due at 21.55 on the high street sheffield, and it defo turned up at 21.55, i am 100% on that, call me a lier if u want but i am defo 100% it was there at 21.55,

I am now 100% that on the 15th and 16th of January that the Number 1 bus at 21.55 from sheffield High Street did turn up and leave at 21.55,

Edited by driver151
more information

The Number 1 bus is supposed to leave the bus stop outside Sports Direct at 10.30p.m ,i waited outside the Old market since 10.15 p.m and nothing came so walked up to the Sport Direct an nothing came until the Number 11 First Bus came at 10.45 p.m,loads were stranded because no Number 1 bus came

16 hours ago, 1295galaxy said:

The Number 1 bus is supposed to leave the bus stop outside Sports Direct at 10.30p.m ,i waited outside the Old market since 10.15 p.m and nothing came so walked up to the Sport Direct an nothing came until the Number 11 First Bus came at 10.45 p.m,loads were stranded because no Number 1 bus came

so not the 10pm one then, so you ment the 22.30, that i am not sure about so best thing to do is ring the depot and ask, but with the sounds of it u wouldnt accept any reason, bad things happen from time to time and nothing can be done about it, the way of the world,

I think this is a very negative line to be taking. I've lived in Sheffield for 25 years, using buses every day, and the main characteristic for me is that practically everyone says "thanks" or equivalent, to the driver when alighting. This applies to schoolkids as well as pensioners, and I have seen them all! I have impressed upon my own children that "we are Sheffielders, we acknowledge our bus drivers".

11 minutes ago, boldforester said:

I think this is a very negative line to be taking. I've lived in Sheffield for 25 years, using buses every day, and the main characteristic for me is that practically everyone says "thanks" or equivalent, to the driver when alighting. This applies to schoolkids as well as pensioners, and I have seen them all! I have impressed upon my own children that "we are Sheffielders, we acknowledge our bus drivers".

Well sadly according to some so called drivers were not 

I was at crystal peaks 3 buses were missing  and one turned into a different number a  lady asked the driver of she could find out the next one he was rude and obnoxious. 

My son has recently started work and needs to catch public transport to get it to work and back.  Usually he can make the entire journey by train, it involves a 1.5 mile walk at this end, to the train station, but once he's on the train it's a short trip into Sheffield Midland railway station, then another short trip from there to his destination.  

However...

Depending on the time of his shifts, he may find there is a long wait, or even no train from Sheffield back to here.  So, he'll arrive back in Sheffield and go for the bus instead, which involves walking up to Arundel gate from the station. 

After the bus has failed to arrive, on multiple occasions, he's just about given up on that option. 

He tells me he's arrived at the bus stop and the electronic board has been showing 20 mins for the next bus.  So he's waited.  The electronic board ticks down to 1 minute - then it disappears altogether and the screen goes blank, then it lights up again and says "cancelled".    I mean, how frustrating is that?  And how unnecessary!  On one occasion he ended up calling a taxi to get home - which cost him half the money he'd just earned on his shift.  Not great is it?

I accept that "bad things do happen" in all businesses - but you can't run a public transport system like that and expect people to use it if they can't rely on it.  

As for bus drivers themselves...I'm sure there are good and bad ones, happy and sad ones, pleasant and grumpy ones, just like anyone else.  I can't say I've had any bad experiences with bus drivers, but then again I don't use buses very often.  All I know is, it must be a mind-numbing job to do and it's not surprising if they are bored to death and grumpy imo.  I say "please" and "thank you" to everyone, I don't make a special case for "bus drivers" - manners are not something that you show to certain people, you show them to all people, if you've been raised in a proper way.

As for motorists, some could be more considerate by acknowledging the Highway Code (not that many will have read it since they passed their test), and let buses pull out.  That's an easy one to do, but I don't see that happening a lot when I'm driving.  (I always let them out and they always acknowledge with a wave or a flashing of their indicators). The other thing is some motorists could park more considerately when on a bus route.  I see this a lot locally where we have a bus stop near to a shop on a fairly narrow one-way street and cars are frequently pulling up to go in the shop and not leaving enough room for the bus to get past.  That's thoughtless actually, on the part of the motorist.   And it happens a lot - every day.  

At the end of the day though, it's wrong to generalise and talk about "motorists" this, or "bus drivers" that.  We are all human beings and capable of being considerate and thoughtful as well as being guilty of the opposite from time to time.

Edited by DerbyTup

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

My son has recently started work and needs to catch public transport to get it to work and back.  Usually he can make the entire journey by train, it involves a 1.5 mile walk at this end, to the train station, but once he's on the train it's a short trip into Sheffield Midland railway station, then another short trip from there to his destination.  

However...

Depending on the time of his shifts, he may find there is a long wait, or even no train from Sheffield back to here.  So, he'll arrive back in Sheffield and go for the bus instead, which involves walking up to Arundel gate from the station. 

After the bus has failed to arrive, on multiple occasions, he's just about given up on that option. 

He tells me he's arrived at the bus stop and the electronic board has been showing 20 mins for the next bus.  So he's waited.  The electronic board ticks down to 1 minute - then it disappears altogether and the screen goes blank, then it lights up again and says "cancelled".    I mean, how frustrating is that?  And how unnecessary!  On one occasion he ended up calling a taxi to get home - which cost him half the money he'd just earned on his shift.  Not great is it?

I accept that "bad things do happen" in all businesses - but you can't run a public transport system like that and expect people to use it if they can't rely on it.  

As for bus drivers themselves...I'm sure there are good and bad ones, happy and sad ones, pleasant and grumpy ones, just like anyone else.  I can't say I've had any bad experiences with bus drivers, but then again I don't use buses very often.  All I know is, it must be a mind-numbing job to do and it's not surprising if they are bored to death and grumpy imo.  I say "please" and "thank you" to everyone, I don't make a special case for "bus drivers" - manners are not something that you show to certain people, you show them to all people, if you've been raised in a proper way.

As for motorists, some could be more considerate by acknowledging the Highway Code (not that many will have read it since they passed their test), and let buses pull out.  That's an easy one to do, but I don't see that happening a lot when I'm driving.  (I always let them out and they always acknowledge with a wave or a flashing of their indicators). The other thing is some motorists could park more considerately when on a bus route.  I see this a lot locally where we have a bus stop near to a shop on a fairly narrow one-way street and cars are frequently pulling up to go in the shop and not leaving enough room for the bus to get past.  That's thoughtless actually, on the part of the motorist.   And it happens a lot - every day.  

At the end of the day though, it's wrong to generalise and talk about "motorists" this, or "bus drivers" that.  We are all human beings and capable of being considerate and thoughtful as well as being guilty of the opposite from time to time.

Sensible post this - well said.

2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

He's lucky it bothered to tell him it was cancelled. More often than not they do the countdown thing then just start again with the next bus that is due in leaving you wondering if the previous one is just late or has in fact disappeared into a black hole.